Great. Now we have to deal with noise-cancelling tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed to repair small screw hole right in the middle of a 2019 Audi tire, only to find out the stupid tire is lined with acoustical foam rubber. Never seen anything like it before, and didn't know how to repair it, since it would be a big mess trying to rip out a section of foam for a patch/plug. After finding out they are non-repairable I just plugged it , since it had to be fixed. I guess now they expect you to simply replace a $400 tire every time you get a small leak. Nice idea, but a little tire noise is much more practical. I guess they are using noise cancelling tires on Tesla, and several other new cars. These were Pirelli 255/40-21 tires.
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/pncs-technology

IMG_5537 (1).JPG

Last edited:
The auto industry is just getting to over the top with all the little B.S. so called techincal advances .
Back in 1992 I bought a plain jane f150 to use around the property , no air , no power windows , vinyl floor covering , 5 speed , straight six . I paid 10k for it , I wish I never got rid of it because you will never be able to buy a vehicle like that again .

I think I'll write to a few auto makers requesting they put such tires on the cheap, loud econoboxes they sell and it's worth increasing the price a little of the car for comforts sake. A Buick doesn't need such tires, the cheap Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent does.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I think I'll write to a few auto makers requesting they put such tires on the cheap, loud econoboxes they sell and it's worth increasing the price a little of the car for comforts sake. A Buick doesn't need such tires, the cheap Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent does.

Heh, some truth in that--$100 of sound deadner has to go a long ways in those cheap cars.

This foam seems like overkill. But I bet the first time old timers saw a liner on a hood, or firewall, or egads! carpet in a car! they said the same thing about it being useless. rooflessVW's link makes it look like no big deal--couple extra minutes of labor.

In our competitive market, each manufacturer is looking for ways to set themselves apart from the competition. This often results in features introduced such as this, which had dubious benefits for the cost.

I assume the foam is bonded to the tire if patching is compromised. That's quite a drawback.

I'm curious to know how much extra weight this adds to a tire.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I applaud the efforts of engineers to make "quiet" pavement, but these tires are simply ludicrous.

Unfortunately, noise goes hand in hand with grip when it comes to pavement. You can have a quiet pavement, but you'll skid more easily.

Originally Posted by Traction
I needed to repair small screw hole right in the middle of a 2019 Audi tire, only to find out the stupid tire is lined with acoustical foam rubber. Never seen anything like it before, and didn't know how to repair it, since it would be a big mess trying to rip out a section of foam for a patch/plug. After finding out they are non-repairable I just plugged it , since it had to be fixed. I guess now they expect you to simply replace a $400 tire every time you get a small leak. Nice idea, but a little tire noise is much more practical. I guess they are using noise cancelling tires on Tesla, and several other new cars. These were Pirelli 255/40-21 tires.
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/pncs-technology

If you don't like them, then buy a set of tires that don't have them.

Tesla's, all the ones I have seen have Michelin (I forget which ones) or Continental ProContact TX tires from the factory.

An electric car that doesn't emit tire noise is dangerous for pedestrians, as they can't hear the car coming.

If you can't afford replacement tires, then you bought the wrong car or may have to put Lionhart tires on the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
If you don't like them, then buy a set of tires that don't have them.

I don't think he's buying them. His customers are.

Interesting. I'd be curious to see how it holds up, especially in the heat after a few years, to see if that stuff loosens up and can become unbalanced.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
The auto industry is just getting to over the top with all the little B.S. so called techincal advances .
Back in 1992 I bought a plain jane f150 to use around the property , no air , no power windows , vinyl floor covering , 5 speed , straight six . I paid 10k for it , I wish I never got rid of it because you will never be able to buy a vehicle like that again .

Ill never get rid of mine. Except I have to have AC.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Here you go.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Well, it doesn't seem that straight forward to me. It looks like a total pain, and several ways to screw it up. Until I see an approved RMA procedure, I am not going to repair them from now on after actually seeing one. I'll send them to the dealer that sells the new cars designed not to be easily repaired in many other ways too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by skyactiv

Heh, some truth in that--$100 of sound deadner has to go a long ways in those cheap cars.

This foam seems like overkill. But I bet the first time old timers saw a liner on a hood, or firewall, or egads! carpet in a car! they said the same thing about it being useless. rooflessVW's link makes it look like no big deal--couple extra minutes of labor.

My F350 doesn't have any of that! First thing my dad did when he bought it was rip it all out. I'm sure it's in their garage somewhere if I wanted to put it back in.

But it *did* save me when the hood cable popped off. Reached in through the grill and through the spot where the plastic was and released it. Still have to reach in that way to open the hood to this day.

Originally Posted by Traction
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Here you go.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Well, it doesn't seem that straight forward to me. It looks like a total pain, and several ways to screw it up. Until I see an approved RMA procedure, I am not going to repair them from now on after actually seeing one. I'll send them to the dealer that sells the new cars designed not to be easily repaired in many other ways too.

thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure they'd be happy to have the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back