Any tips to staying awake on the freeway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try doing some exercises right before you leave the house.....do some pushups jumping jacks stuff like that.....do you have the same problem when coming home?

Last edited:
That doesn't sound good.

You should investigate possible Sleep Apnea/Diabetes

I generally cruise with a window down, and the sunroof open, and the radio going

But my commute isn't as soothing, any attempts at sleep behind the wheel will result in death, or driving off a bridge or two

I'll take melatonin before bed to help me get restful sleep even if it's only 6 hours. Talk radio helps because it gives your mind something to think about. Sipping on soda also helps.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Originally Posted by Dyusik
and don't start my coffee until getting to my destination, of shortly before. )

Don't drink coffee until at least an hour after you wake up.

And if the coffee at work sucks and no place is open to buy coffee before 5 am? I leave at 4 am as well with a 40 minute commute much like the OP. It's not a perfect world..

I use talk radio.

I make a thermos full so it stays warm and I don't have to keep the burner on. (Or I've made a liter in the french press.)

It will stay warm all day long, so it's there for me to refill my mug. I'll do it this way even if I'm working from home.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

And if the coffee at work sucks and no place is open to buy coffee before 5 am? I leave at 4 am as well with a 40 minute commute much like the OP.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Sleep Apnea? any chance this is a factor? GET TESTED. It is something you can have at a life threatening level and not be aware of.

I have it and had no clue. Sleep lab testing estimated I was getting 8 minutes of sound sleep a night.

This. I work nights and am not tired all the time once I got diagnosed. I had no idea either, but my wife is a respiratory therapist and she noticed I quit breathing at night. I sleep with a CPAP machine now, but it was a little hard to get used to. I can't sleep w/o it now.

Exercise before work.
My wife does a lot of traveling for her job and works out everyday before work. She has a home gym in the basement and also has a gym membership.

I won't give any suggestions because there may be variables that are not mentioned in the OP. Would suggest one thing though, search for Matthew Walker on YouTube. He wrote the book 'Why We Sleep'. He has a lab at UC Berkeley. In short youtube video snippets, he has explained a lot of things on how our behavior (including what we eat, when we eat, how we eat, etc) affects sleep. Hopefully, you will find your answer there. There is never 'one size fits all' answer when it comes to sleep, because of the complexity in the sleep process.

Somebody mentioned sleep apnea, look into that too.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Open all windows. Hard to fall asleep when you're being blown around.

This is what I do. Works like a charm! Especially if it's cool outside.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Three words. Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO).

Pink Floyd: pigs,3 different ones.

Another thing to do is to remove 1 shoe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
Your work hours are brutal. To bed at 7:00 pm ( still daylight with DST) to get 8 hours of sleep, up at 3:00 am to hit the road at 4:00 am, to be at work at 5:00 am. Consider changing your shift or job.

That's not always the answer...
I'm up at 0400, leave at 0420 - 0425
Then at my desk & working 0545

There's no changing a company with 18,000 employees without a MAJOR contract change.

PS: Get some Papa Roach CD's and sing along at Full volume!

Buy something more fun to drive than a Buick?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by das_peikko
My job starts at 5:00AM. I leave the house at 4:00AM.

So what time do you actually get up? I would need to be up at 6 to leave the house at 8 just to be fully awake. Do you get enough good quality sleep? Do you wake up during the night or have exhausting dreams? 6 1/2 hours good sleep are better than 8 hours of bad sleep. Sleeping pills can help short term. As for driving, turn on the dome light.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I know I can't fight it. If I start to get tired, I have to pull over at a gas station or Walmart and take a quick 20 minute nap.

I haven't started doing that but it can't be far off for me. Sometimes just 5 minutes of shut-eye "fixes" my drowsiness.

I can't do audiobooks in the car, I find I can't pay attention.

Maybe get up earlier and do some exercise, get the blood flowing. Is this a long term change for you? I'm guessing you need get your sleep habits altered so as to fall asleep earlier at night. From what I've been seeing lately, it's a bad habit to sleep in on the weekend--it's better to stay on a schedule.

Oh and it might be time to fix the struts.

When I worked solar construction it was like that. Up at 3, on the road by 4, on site at 7.

Get some real sleep and drink some apple juice with your breakfast. Turn on some Volbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back