Snap ring pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a decent set of snap ring pliers?

There's the pliers that can be internal and external as well as have removable tips.. then there's others that include 12 pieces with fixed tips in a set.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have the 927, they're good. Snap ring pliers

+1 on the Channel Lock 927 snap ring pliers.

I had a cheap set of snap ring pliers trying to remove a clip for a Toyota Sienna wheel bearing. Took forever with the crappy set.

Channel locks got it off on the first try.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have the 927, they're good. Snap ring pliers

+1 on the Channel Lock 927 snap ring pliers.

I had a cheap set of snap ring pliers trying to remove a clip for a Toyota Sienna wheel bearing. Took forever with the crappy set.

Channel locks got it off on the first try.

thumbsup2.gif

I have never found good ones, meaning with adjustable tips.

Now I have a bunch of needle nose pliers that I have just ground the tips down to fit various applications. It's surprisingly cheap to do this; pick up cheap needle nose sets on sale. Presumably, you have a bench grinder. If not, you need one anyway, go get it.

I have Lang Tools which is the same as the Channellock 927. Lang Tools makes the 927, at least they did 3 or 4 years ago.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I have never found good ones, meaning with adjustable tips.

Now I have a bunch of needle nose pliers that I have just ground the tips down to fit various applications. It's surprisingly cheap to do this; pick up cheap needle nose sets on sale. Presumably, you have a bench grinder. If not, you need one anyway, go get it.

Same here. I thought Lisle would have been a good one but no I am not impressed.

Originally Posted by boom10ful
Bought a Craftsman one about a year ago at Sears. Good quality and still made in USA.

I have that one as well too, but it must be made by Channel Lock because it is identical to my son's Channel Lock model.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
These may work for occasional use.

I tried them and quickly replaced them with the Channel Lock 927 Snap Ring pliers I mentioned earlier.

I've had no problems with a 3 piece set of Craftsman I bought maybe 8-10 years ago, but they seem to no longer sell a 3 piece set and what they have now has black grips while mine were red so no idea if the manufacturer/quality is the same now.

Last edited:
I bought the Icon set from harbor freight. They are actually very good and worth the price because they come with many different ones in a suitcase style storage box. The snapring plyers that have interchangeable tips are garbage

I either have the 927 or the one that's similar.

One of the tip holes was broached at the wrong angle so if I use 90*tips, which is quite often, they don't work.

I would go with the Knipex 00 20 04 SB, 00 20 04 V01, or 00 19 58 V02 set. Not cheap, but you'll be happy with them if you use them often. Since you mention using the 90 degree tips, these sets include those.

The 00 20 04 V01 set is available on the amazon.de for a very good price right now (90 euros which includes VAT). The other two sets I linked are their "precision" line (per Knipex).

The stamped set of 12 is typically made by Lang or Stride for others, and they are generally pretty good. The price is hard to beat for USA made tools.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I either have the 927 or the one that's similar.

One of the tip holes was broached at the wrong angle so if I use 90*tips, which is quite often, they don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back