2018 Mercedes GLC 300, your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct on the Porsche. The water cooled 996 has had some issues (IMS and cylinder lining) which Porsche refused to address and ultimately was sued as i understand. The known engine builders pretty much recommend Driven DT40 now. I run Mobil 1 10W-40 in the BMW and Amsoil 15-50 Race oil (engine builder recommended) in the Ford which serves road course duty.

Originally Posted by MajorCavalry
My wife has her heart set on a 2018 MB GLC 300 SUV. We went and test drove one yesterday.
Consumer reports rated this exceptionally high about 6 months ago and now pans it.
I really don't want to get into a troublesome vehicle and we plan to keep this for 10 years.

Your thoughts? Not really looking for recommendations for other vehicles. I have already tried.

Also, if you know. what oil does it require. After all, this is BITOG (LOL)

I'd go with a CX5 Signature or Grand Touring Reserve instead. Cheaper, more reliable, similar options, WAY better performance. Very similar size. Near identical fuel economy. Build quality is very similar, and I slightly favor my GT Reserve over my neighbor's AMG43GLC for fit/finish and interior quality. That kindof shocked me. Mine is more refined, and more solid/quieter/insulated/etc. Obviously the AMG 3.0T and DCT are killer awesome, though, lol! Every rating I've found for the CX5 and CX9 has been stellar with regard to reliability (The CX5 GTR/Sig has the CX9 engine, basically).

And the CX5 saves you $15K similarly equipped...

So yeah, I have no idea why you'd buy the GLC300 over the CX5 GTR/Sg unless you're just a die-hard MB fan, or unless you just HAVE to have air suspension or the pano roof, which the Mazda doesn't offer, otherwise, it's much slower, gets the same fuel economy despite shuffling 9 gears around instead of 6, and handles worse, and offers more or less the same amenities.

Last edited:
I'd go with Mobil 1 0w40. It's the recommended oil by MB and there's also a $12 rebate for up to 4 5 quart jugs. They're now $22.88 for a 5 quart jug so only $10.88 for a 5 quart jug. Otherwise I'd just get Castrol 0w40 if it weren't for the rebate.The 0w40 oil is very popular in all climates for all MBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back