How Often Change Fuel Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the post about the 160K fuel filter and didn't want to hijack his thread.

My question is how often should we change our fuel filters? Every 100K? Every 150K?

Some of mine are external.

Last edited:
Never replaced one in any car where it was in the tank, where I think most are now. Otherwise, I'd go by the owner's maintenance manual. I think many are "life of the vehicle".

Had a 2002 Honda never replaced over 200k miles (original water pump and alternator, too) '13 Subaru never replaced (only about 60k miles before losing), 2005 Subaru 190k never replaced still running.

So, for me, this item wasn't listed as maintenance, so I haven't done.

I think 40-50k miles is good. Sometime I find the car runs better after a filter change. I assume the pressure is improved.

Many years ago I used to pre-emptively change but no more. I don't believe they ever clog anymore but as soon as I say that....ohoh

I think Subaru used to recommend 30k for the ones with canister filters like my 01 Forester had, so that's what I did. Those canisters are bigger than most that were installed by other makers, with the exception of maybe the AC Delco ones on the big GM trucks. So, 30k is probably a good rule of thumb, 50k if you're stretching every dollar and want to take the chance of getting stranded by a plugged filter. Because let's be honest, for a car old enough to have a replaceable filter, it's probably old enough to have some scale and other junk that can slough off and plug the filter. JMHO.

With how slow the local fuel station gas pumps are, I don't think I ever need to change a fuel filter again...

I can't remember the last time I did a change. 148k on my truck, 176k on a Civic, 181k on a Camry and 205k on my Camry--as far as I know all have original fuel filters.

Only ever changed on my VW TDi and that was spelled out in the manual as something it needed every 20k. And from what I could tell online, a number of people did have them clog in under 100k, so they were doing something.

I used to replace fuel filters 'just because that is what is done'.

And then I started cutting them open. I never encountered a modern filter that was close to clogged, even at 180K miles.

Now I don't bother to replace them unless the hoses leading to them need to be replaced.

Sure, there could be a one-off event where you pump dirt into the tank, but it's not likely. Modern fuel is very clean, and it's filtered at the pump hose. Vehicle tanks are very well sealed, with the car showing an error if the tank isn't holding a vacuum. And the filters are huge compared to the thimble-sized filters were the standard 70 years ago.

And with the regulator *after* the filter, it's extremely unlikely that the engine runs slightly better after a filter change.

Last edited:
The manual for my Mazda forgot to list a change interval for the fuel filter, although it was external and easy to change. It clogged at about 260k, resulting in loss of power on long Interstate grades. The replacement went even farther before I retired the car, and never clogged.

So, I think the answer is that fuel filter life is highly unpredictable. Change it only when necessary, which effectively means when you get a batch of dirty fuel that clogs it.

Depends on what kind of car make model and the type of fuel filter it is using?

Not putting specific car make model will only generate philosophical discussion of people's opinion.

I don't think most new cars include the fuel filter as being part of the maintenance needed (there is no mention of changing the fuel filter in my Corvette's owner's manual for instance), it seems they might be a lifetime item nowadays. I know I haven't changed a fuel filter on any car I've owned since my 87 Mustang GT in the 90s.

Like most filters, I believe it depends on several factors: how clean is the fuel source, what kind of environment does the vehicle drive (dirty/dusty), how many miles per year, etc. If no answers are too severe, I would say every 100k miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. Also consider the size of the fuel filter, the one on my Corvette is nearly the size of a coke can but the one on my 1967 Mustang was the size of a PCV valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back