Sidewall tire damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was washing my truck this weekend and saw this in the sidewall of two of the four tires. The tires haven't ever been low on air or had a nail in them. Am I having sidewall issues?

E9924520-4A9D-4C4D-B3F5-E0D257990463.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the picture just below the tread you can see an indentation that runs around the diameter of the tire. But if you see nothing wrong with that picture maybe that's a good thing!

Originally Posted by Redright9
If you look at the picture just below the tread you can see an indentation that runs around the diameter of the tire. But if you see nothing wrong with that picture maybe that's a good thing!

I can't see it , I have seen that running north and south but not around like you have

If you all are saying what looks like a groove between the "nipples" and tread is fine or dont see anything wrong then I guess I have nothing to worry about!

It's almost like a shadow, between the "nubs" and the tread. I would take them to the tire store and have them look at the 2 suspect tires. It looks like a sidewall might be trying to separate. Can you feel the difference with your Hand?

Last edited:
Wow amazing that you even saw that. Most people don't pay that much attn to their tires. Good catch normal on tires some worse than others depending on how much rubber they mold into them.

Originally Posted by Redright9
Yes. I can feel it with my hand.
If 2 of your 4 tires show this and they're all the same size and brand, it won't hurt to get the dealers opinion. It would be hard for me to not think of this while rolling down the Interstate at 70 mph.

I think I have seen it before. Just shrinkage as it was molded in the specific area. Don't think there is an issue.....

What brand/size of tire is that? Never seen a tread that looked like that before. Id have the tire place u bought em at check them out.

They are Kenda Klever A/T, LT285 65 R16. I norrmally wouldnt go for off brand tires but the store said they had good luck with them and I met a few people that use thier trucks commercially and had good luck as well with them.

What that is, is the end of the turn up. It's present in all tires, but usually, tire manufacturers have thicker rubber and/or more bric-a-brac to disguise it.

So what is a turn up? When tires are manufactured, the plies - the usually small polyester parallel thread cords coated with a thin layer of rubber - are wrapped (turned up) around the bead bundle and the cut end folds up against itself and ends in the mid sidewall. You can see the operation here at the 2:45 to 2:50 timemark:

Youtube: How it's made: Car Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back