New Hyundai Elantra tell me all I need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought my mother in law a new 2019 Elantra, 2 liter auto base model. $16.9k out the door. What oil, filter should I use? What change interval? What about the transmission, when do I change its fluid and with what? Anything else I need to know? I want this to last and not have to work on it out of warranty.

Will be used for short trips around town, Florida so HOT. Occasional trips out of state.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
ALL you need to know is here http://bfy.tw/NK9K

Not an especially helpful post. One step below saying look in the owners manual.

People come here for advice, so I'll try and lend a hand.

Since the car is in FL cold starts are not really an issue. The older model Hyundai and Kia cars allowed 5w30 and 10w30 but recommended 5w20. If your owners manual allows for 5w30 or 10w30 I'd run a 5w30 year round or 10w30 if you can get some on a deal.

OCI of 5,000 should fall between the normal and severe service schedule and is easy to track. Any Dexos1 Gen2 5w30 (literally any brand that carries the cert) would be a fantastic oil for her car.

I can't comment on transmission service intervals.

Hyundais have great warranties. Consulting and adhering to the manual's service intervals, oil and filter is a great idea. Do not Over Think this and give them a reason to deny your warranty. If you do your own oil changes, make sure to adequately document it including the dated receipts.

Not sure what you mean by "I want this to last and not have to work on it out of warranty." Despite the very strong inclination that Magic Oil will solve all car woes on this forum, cars wear and need repaired over time, but fortunately the two big ticket *fluid issues* items have years of warranty. If there is no tranny service interval in the manual before the 7 year warranty is up, don't touch it till then, or if you have enough miles for concerns, get it assessed and done (at their discretion) by a Hyundai dealer svc dept, not DIY or some quicklube place... again, until the warranty is over, then DIY the next day.

Oh wait, I wrote 7 yrs above but didn't Hyundai up the powertrain to 10 years?!!

Last edited:
That can run 5w20 or 5w30 per mobil 1 site. It didn't recommend one over the other like it does some times. I'd just run a syn from Walmart in whichever you prefer. Probably 5w30 there.

Thanks for the replies.

What I meant wanting it to last and not having to work on it means I have to fix whatever breaks. I do it all myself. Her last POS was a LIberty, had to change a head gasket then less than 1000 miles later the transmission quit. Something broke loose inside and it wouldn't even go in park just rolled. I have rebuilt GM transmissions before, but after looking at the cost of parts for this one I called it dead.

It came with a year of free oil changes, after that I am thinking 5k changes with 5w30 and factory filters.

Last edited:
I had the Hyundai dealer change my ATF at 40K miles. I had to take the Santa Fe in for a hood latch recall, so I chose to have the ATF done at that time. Will probably get another service at 75-80K.

I have a 2017 Elantra. While the oil cap shows 5w20, the manual shows 5w30 for the same temperature range, and 10w30 for temps constantly above 0*. I personally run 5w30 year round. If I were farther south, I would go with the 10w30. The farthest I've run between changes is 7200 miles. I usually change it around 6200-6500 miles driving probably 85% highway mileage. I also use a Fram Ultra XG9688 filter and Quaker State Ultimate Durability oil.

L8R,
Matt

Not sure if they still do, but Hyundai used to "recommend" Quaker State. QSUD in 5w-20 or 5w-30 flavor would be a great choice, but then again any major in the same flavor(s) would be excellent as well.

Last edited:
I use 5w30 year round in the 2013, 1.8L Elantra and it loves it (Texas). I have Maxlife ATF in the tranny, runs super smooth. However, probably a good idea to use Hyundai's (SP-4) tranny fluid until you're outside of warranty.

you can use 5w-20, 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-30 in Florida and still be within warranty.
I personally have no issues with 5w-20 if the engine is spec'ed for it even in 100°F+ temps.

As said, use any SN+ oil and change it every 5000 miles and it will never have an oil related issue.
OEM filters a decent filters, and you can find deals on them on e-bay.
Heck, you can buy OEM Hyundai filters at Walmart now for $6.

For the transmission, while it has a "lifetime" fluid, we all know how well that works out sometimes. For me, I like to do a 30,000 mile drain and fill.
Hyundai's used to be real picky with their ATF, but I know many have been using Maxlife, Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline ATF in them with no issues, but the OEM fluid is the best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back