bought steel cut oats by mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used a crock pot recipe gussied up with a Granny Smith apple, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Great tasting result, more like dessert than breakfast. Rolled oats nuke in 3.75 minutes and taste great with whatever fruit you have on hand. This is gonna be a one-time purchase.
grin2.gif

I grind a mix of steel-cut oats with flax seed and chis seeds in my Ninja AutoIQ, then add it to a shaker with plant-based protein before putting it in the fridge overnight. By morning, it's much thicker and you have to almost chew the liquid! It makes for a really tasty, healthy breakfast.

Enjoy, it's a much healthier whole oat vs. the pressed and partially cooked part of the oat that has all the nutrients gone before you get them.

I'm with you Andyd. I don't have time for the steel cut to cook plus they sure don't taste good to me. I just use the regular oats with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water and raisins and some real cinnamon from Indonesia....Yummy!

Not a mistake Steel Cut is the correct choice mistake was all the added sugar you used.

My regular is "old fashioned" rolled oats not instant. 3/4 cup of oats, cup of water, sliced banana or whatever fruit on hand.3 and 3/4 minutes in the microwave is all it needs. I can stand a spoon in it. Milk ,coffee,juice or nothing. I was following a recipe with the steel cut and wasn't being inventive. Making breakfast the night before isn't quite the no brainer nuking it while I brew coffee is
grin2.gif

Yup. That's what we do....make a week's worth. Takes about 30 min to cook them up.

After a few weeks of doing steel cut oats these will taste good to you compared to all the more processed oat forms that everyone else has mentioned. This is the closest thing to nature that you can actually eat.....and you get more vitamins, minerals, and fiber. I add flax meal, pea protein, cinnamon, raisins, banana, cocoa powder, and top with organic soy milk. No sugars added like many other forms of oats.

Last edited:
Trader Joe's has 8 minute groats. They are not that bad tasting, a great breakfast for a ski trip

Normally, I cook groats in at rice cooker (uncovered or it will boil over), which makes it easy and convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back