Scratched My New Car. Help Me Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was careless and going too fast.

I need a step ladder to get the roof. While moving the ladder, one of the legs hit the rocker. Left two small scratches I can just catch with my fingernail. Rubbed with a towel and spray wax. A little was removed but the two scratches remain visible and are just felt with a fingernail.

Whats the best procedure and products to use to erase my flub?

Last edited:
We need pictures. Also run your nail perpendicular against the scratch. If your fingernail catches, it went through clear coat. If it does not it will be easier to fix.

They're right nobody can tell you without pictures. It would also help to know which make and model since some makes have different paint qualities in terms of things like hardness and thickness of clear coat (which tells you what you can potentially work with).

But if they're not large the most realistic option is going to be to just apply touch up paint with a clear coat sealer. Usually OEM touch up paints now come with both the paint and sealer in one package.

The goal is not going to be to look like new. The goal is going to be to make it invisible from a certain distance and also prevent further deterioration from that point onward.

I don't post pictures on the Internet. Have no picture hosting service and do not use Facebook, Twitter, IG, or any other.

I bounced the step ladder off the rocker and it skipped off. Have two small scratches. After washing and rinsing, I tried Meguiar's ScratckX 2.0. After waxing, the scratches are only visible to me because I know where to look. I can still catch my fingernail on each scratch. I'll try something more aggressive in the fall when I prep the car for winter.

Just so you now, you can post a picture here directly now, without subscribing to a picture posting service. Meta data can be readily removed, too, if that's of any concern. For Meguiar's, there's a professional version, the swirl remover, and then there's a step up in aggressiveness.

Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan
I don't post pictures on the Internet. Have no picture hosting service and do not use Facebook, Twitter, IG, or any other.

I bounced the step ladder off the rocker and it skipped off. Have two small scratches. After washing and rinsing, I tried Meguiar's ScratckX 2.0. After waxing, the scratches are only visible to me because I know where to look. I can still catch my fingernail on each scratch. I'll try something more aggressive in the fall when I prep the car for winter.

Leave them.

If you can catch the scratch with a fingernail than it cannot be buffed out. Best bet just get some touch up paint and live with it. In 3 years you will not even know that it is there, too many others will accumulate by then.

Have you tried one if those headlight restorer kits?

I use a drill sponge attachment and Meguiars Ultimate compound to buff out stuff. It works fine for most stuff, but none of my cars are new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back