Joined the Havoline box club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
How does having a cardboard box, a plastic bag, and a single qt bottle save anything, when it comes to recycling?.,,

If he continues to use the same qt. bottle for top off oil, it would. It would definitely save something if he returned the container with his old oil to Walmart.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
How does having a cardboard box, a plastic bag, and a single qt bottle save anything, when it comes to recycling?.,,

The cardboard is recyclable. If part of it gets oil on it just test off that portion. The bag goes into the trash just like the oil jugs do.

Many of us still keep a quart in the car as a habit. In my case I've never used that quart myself but have offered it to others in times of need.

The box has marks so theoretically you can measure five quarts from the box and leave the extra quart for later.

Am I the only person who combines the leftover half quart/quart from each oil change, eventually having enough to do an oil change for free (minus filter)?

So you'd have a free oil change every 4 changes or so depending on if your car takes 4 quarts or 5+.

BTW, my two cars are 5w20 and 0w20 so I'm not combining crazy differences in viscosity.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Am I the only person who combines the leftover half quart/quart from each oil change, eventually having enough to do an oil change for free (minus filter)?

So you'd have a free oil change every 4 changes or so depending on if your car takes 4 quarts or 5+.

BTW, my two cars are 5w20 and 0w20 so I'm not combining crazy differences in viscosity.

My truck consumes zero oil, even with 100k+ miles, so I have a continuous supply of half quarts.

I just change the oil in my lawnmower and other 4 stroke yard equipment more often.

I would like to see more companies move to the 6 quart box. It's both efficient and (when recycled) environmentally friendly. With the market moving to trucks and suv's and associated larger sumps, 6 quarts seems like the new mode (and median).

I am uncertain how the boxes would affect shelf space competition and stock - which is enough to sink the idea completely (current plastic designs maximize frontal area for marketing and minimize depth to allow for more units on a shallow store shelf).

Last edited:
I think 6 qt is becoming the new norm for many vehicles, so they are getting that market covered.
Their 6 qt container is cheaper than most 5 qt containers, and even more so than a 5 qt container + 1 extra qt.

Where does Havoline ProDS rank with the supertech's, amazon basics, QSUD's etc?

Last edited:
If this 6 qt. box is a hit for Havoline, and I expect it to be, I imagine Walmart will notice and start making their own Supertech 6 qt. boxes. They seem to jump on a good thing right away.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Where does Havoline ProDS rank with the supertech's, amazon basics, QSUD's etc?

Havoline meets all the specs and certifications like the rest. Chevron has been making oil since the dinosaurs went extinct. Your engine will not know the difference but your wallet will be heavier.

Originally Posted by Puckrobber
If this 6 qt. box is a hit for Havoline, and I expect it to be, I imagine Walmart will notice and start making their own Supertech 6 qt. boxes. They seem to jump on a good thing right away.

^^^This^^^

"One Box, One OCI!"

^^^And, this^^^

My local Walmarts have never stocked Havoline in-store, in either jug or box variety. I've always had to ship to home (which I prefer anyway) or pick-up in store. I'm glad to see in the past couple of weeks most weights have appeared on Walmart.com. I have several vehicles I service for family - including one of my own - that take exactly 6 qts per oil change, so this is a perfect size. I have a feeling I'll be buying a lot of Havoline in the future.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by Ngamtns
It seems to be looked down upon from the Mobil, Penzoil, ect ppl.

What, the new 6 qt. Havoline oil box?

They are just jealous. Why didn't we think of that first?

Yeah the TBN is low, it's a low seller for a reason ect ect. I think it's a fine oil. Much better than the standard quick lube junk at many locations (that cars still run for 2 or 3 hundred k)

Originally Posted by PimTac

They are just jealous. Why didn't we think of that first?

I'm thinking the Havoline box will become very popular and other oil companies will stand up and take notice. Then, we will start to see more boxed oil. They might try at 1st to get away with their usual 5.1 qts. When they see it's not selling like the Havoline, they will then HAVE TO go to 6 qt. boxes.

Yeah the TBN is low, it's a low seller for a reason ect ect. I think it's a fine oil. Much better than the standard quick lube junk at many locations (that cars still run for 2 or 3 hundred k)

TBN is not a measure of quality.

True ^^^^^^^

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 has a starting tbn right at 7. Though this oil has Porsche C30 approval I believe. Which is one of the toughest specs out there to meet. Amongst other tough specifications.

The last PQIA test had Havoline high mileage 5w30 at 8.07. It's fine.

Last edited:

Unless Warren and Wal-Mart's other blenders for Supertech have bag in the box products, it might require significant retooling to offer something comparable to these smart change boxes.

Call me cynical, but I don't see this aggressive price point on Havoline lasting forever.

Last edited:
Of course it won't. But it will gain market share among those who enjoy the container size and convenience and understand that specifications not brand matter.
Originally Posted by Jesse_NE

Unless Warren and Wal-Mart's other blenders for Supertech have bag in the box products, it might require significant retooling to offer something comparable to these smart change boxes.

Call me cynical, but I don't see this aggressive price point on Havoline lasting forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back