Newcastle Brown Ale replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those not aware, this classic English Brown Ale is no longer imported into the US and is brewed using a completely different recipe by Lagunitas in California. The new brewery has added hops because apparently the average US beer consumer is so obsessed with bitterness that a traditional English brown ale was too radical flavor or something. The IPA trend really needs to die off soon.

(But if you were to drink this anywhere else in the world but the US, you'd get the original recipe)

So with this now off my list, are there any similar beers that can take its place?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Reddy45
For those not aware, this classic English Brown Ale is no longer imported into the US and is brewed using a completely different recipe by Lagunitas in California. The new brewery has added hops because apparently the average US beer consumer is so obsessed with bitterness that a traditional English brown ale was too radical flavor or something.
lol.gif

Imported from the land of the snow? How close are you to the Canadian border? I live in Toronto and know exactly what you mean. I've gone out to eat and almost gagged at what comes out of the taps at trendy restaurants.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Reddy45
For those not aware, this classic English Brown Ale is no longer imported into the US and is brewed using a completely different recipe by Lagunitas in California. The new brewery has added hops because apparently the average US beer consumer is so obsessed with bitterness that a traditional English brown ale was too radical flavor or something.
lol.gif

Imported from the land of the snow? How close are you to the Canadian border? I live in Toronto and know exactly what you mean. I've gone out to eat and almost gagged at what comes out of the taps at trendy restaurants.

Well that raises a good point because maybe all the Irish/English pub places will still get kegs of the real stuff. But I'm nowhere near the Canadian border.

If you could get your hands on some New Glarus Brewing Fat Squirrel Nut Brown Ale I truly believe this is the flavor profile you're looking for.

I had a Newcastle Ale, just one. Not impressed. Watery I do not enjoy the hoppiness of US IPAs If I wanted that degree of a pucker, I'd go back to salt, tequila, lemon shots. I want a beer to complement food, not over power my taste buds.

I don't mind an IPA once in a great while, but by their prevalence in the lower 48 it seems like they constitute 90% of the craft beers produced. I've gone to Imperial Stout when I can find it, used to drink Newcastle when I couldn't.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
I don't mind an IPA once in a great while, but by their prevalence in the lower 48 it seems like they constitute 90% of the craft beers produced. I've gone to Imperial Stout when I can find it, used to drink Newcastle when I couldn't.

It's almost absurd how much the microbrewery industry is based on who can use hops in the most creative way and throw on indie art and a fun name.

Brewing is much more than that.

I have been enjoying Big Sky Brewing's Moose Drool Brown Ale, lately..very tasty. Disappointing to hear about Newcastle....as I love beer but strongly dislike the super hoppy IPAs. It seems like the race to the bottom for hoppy beers has been driven by the Millenials, who seem to love their IPAs.

I was talking to a brewer at a microbrewery in Minneapolis last year and he thought the Hopps arms race was ruining beer...

You could try regular Busch beer in bottles, I found it the best import. Naturally carbonated I think is the key here, don't bother with the light beer, it's not the same. I think you could only get the 24 ounce returnable bottles. Little disclaimer here, I stopped drinking many years ago.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
That's a shame. That stuff was good. Yes, tastes have changed. IPA's are dominant now Not a fan.

+1; Several years ago, rumor had it they started using a sketchy coloring agent; it was removed after customers complained.

Newcastle in bottles never seemed to be as good as draft. For years it was my go to drink out on the town when available.
Now, it is not anywhere.

Will add to "why my family shouldn't have left England" rolling tally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
You could try regular Busch beer in bottles, I found it the best import. Naturally carbonated I think is the key here, don't bother with the light beer, it's not the same. I think you could only get the 24 ounce returnable bottles. Little disclaimer here, I stopped drinking many years ago.

This is a pointless post and has no relevance to the discussion.

Too bad, newcastle was good. Brooklyn brewery brown ale is pretty good, but it probably has more hops.

Downtown Brown Ale is closest in taste to Newcastle Brown Ale.

It is brewed by Lost Coast Brewing in Eureka, CA,
located four hours north of Lagunitas Brewing in Petaluma, CA.

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
That's a shame. That stuff was good. Yes, tastes have changed. IPA's are dominant now Not a fan.

A decent tap room will have all kinds of great beer. IPAs are popular but there are plenty of other styles out there now.

You also can't drink one IPA and pass judgement on IPAs. They're a developed taste like many other similar products like fine wine or cigars. The novice will think Sutter Home and Swisher Sweets are the last words.

Unfortunately the ipa craze has hit London as well. My parents were in London last summer and even my dad who is like me not an ipa fan noticed alot on tap whereas a few years ago they said it was all local beer.

well, newcastle hasn't been newcastle for years anyway..

the last from the real newcastle brewery was in may 2005.
moved to Federation Brewery in Gateshead,
then in 2007, bottling moved to John Smith's brewery, In Tadcaster, North yorkshire
Then Heineken bought them 2008.
in 2010, closed the Gateshead Brewery, moving full production to John Smith's.
in 2015 then removed the caramel coloring, citing health concerns, replacing it with Roasted malt.
2017 Heineken Moved some production to Zoeterwoude Brewery, netherlands, supposedly to facilitate Shorter lead times to the US, and allow US distributors to order by the Pallet, rather than an entire container.

I know it's their trademark, but i really wish they would switch away from clear bottles. Light is the enemy of good beer flavor..
once, and only once, I found Newcastle in cans, and dear god, it was delicious. a completely different creature than what is in the clear bottles.
I even tried the "Draughtkeg" it was closer to the skunky clear bottles than the magnificence from the can.

My current English of choice, is Fuller's London pride.(when i can get it, the nearest places to me that carry it are 70-100 mi away, and i'm not that dedicated of an alcoholic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back