Can M1 EP really do 15K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Would not do it on a DI engine, and esp. not on TDI. NO WAY. Maybe 8k w/premium filter
I enjoy my TDI engine immensely.

But not enough to add it to your sig line I see
crackmeup2.gif

Look !!! 2015 Ford F150 2.7 is about as T and DI as you can get.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Some engines could breeze thru 15,000 miles others would have issues.

Port injected and normally aspirated? 15k no problem IMO. Get into DI or turbo and you'll need a UOA to extend your interval

It does depend on the engine. My 4.6 Ford is driven nearly all highway miles....

In my case, the cheapest SuperTech NON-synthetic will handle 15K miles with ease

Back in the early 90's, I knew a dude that did computer set-ups for businesses running in a 1992 Chevy K1500

He ran usually 50,000 miles on the Mobil 1 10W-30 that was available back then. (Blue cap?)

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Would not do it on a DI engine, and esp. not on TDI. NO WAY. Maybe 8k w/premium filter
I enjoy my TDI engine immensely.

But not enough to add it to your sig line I see
crackmeup2.gif

Look !!! 2015 Ford F150 2.7 is about as T and DI as you can get.

My bad, I saw TDI and thought VW
27.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharged_direct_injection

They say up to 15k miles, I go "up to" 7k miles. Not trying to test their claim and since it cost no more than all the other big name standard drain synthetic oils at Walmart I'd be using anyway (give or take $2) including other M1 flavors. I'm buying it for what's in it to make those claims. I don't get the whole concept of extending intervals to save a night at Olive Garden money per year. If your doing that you better be driving a Prius, Honda Fit, some other miser or run a fleet.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by Kestas
Our Mobil representative claims Mobil 1 can easily do 25K, and probably even longer. I didn't see any point arguing. I'm not armed with facts at the ready.

No thanks,
11.gif

https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12395/why-did-mobil-1-fail

Don't know what that article has to do with this thread … It's a mixed bag writing …

EP has actually been a successful product
What is the Pennzoil extended run oil like Amsoil, Castrol, and Mobil …

Mobil 1 has to be lying. Their test included a Ford Fusion with an Ecoboost engine and the oil tested perfectly okay in lab analysis. Can't be true ! Just can't be from what I read here about these engines.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Some just consider it some safety factor for little more in cost …

That's why I use it. Run it a full year on my work car since it see's about 6k a year, and we'll see how the pentastar in the van likes it. If it does, we'll run a year on that as well.

I think that Mobil 1 should do away with EP and just keep AP, but lower the price a little more. Do they really need to have a 15k oil and a 20k oil? If I was doing 15k intervals I'd go with the AP just for extra margin of safety anyhow. Mobil 1 is becoming the Coke of motor oil, with way too many flavors that aren't necessary.

I think that Mobil 1 should do away with EP and just keep AP, but lower the price a little more. Do they really need to have a 15k oil and a 20k oil? If I was doing 15k intervals I'd go with the AP just for extra margin of safety anyhow. Mobil 1 is becoming the Coke of motor oil, with way too many flavors that aren't necessary.

A little more? Right now the price difference is $14/ 5qt jug, that's a lot for "a 5,000 mile more oil change interval". It may be a great oil but I don't think a lot of people can really take advantage of the 20,000 mile/annual oil change intervals. 15,000 mile oil annual oil changes is probably stretching it for most people. It seems to be a product that doesn't have a realistic viable customer base. But then again maybe they do sell enough at that high price to make it worth while, who knows.

Whimsey

Well, I run mobil1 5w-30 ep in my 2008 toyota sienna. The last oci was 21,177 miles. I sent in the oil sample to Blackstone labs and they said I could go to 23,000 miles but that was about the limit. I really don;t need the AP oil to do 20,000 miles. My van averages about 28,000 miles per year, it is port injected. This weekend it hit 312,000 miles. My driving habits 65% hwy-35% city help with this of course. And, with all the trips to Phoenix, Denver, Grand Canyon etc. I can go close to the 25,000 miles that the Mobil1 person said.the oil could go to. And, if I did use the AP, maybe I could see 25,000 miles on an oil change. But, What filter would go the 28,000 miles the AP would go to? If the ep can go to 23,000 miles the AP should be able to go to 28,000 miles so it then becomes a filter thing. Also, my van does not need to have any top up oil added during the oci!! I use the fram ultra oil filter.

Originally Posted by billpace1956
Well, I run mobil1 5w-30 ep in my 2008 toyota sienna. The last oci was 21,177 miles. I sent in the oil sample to Blackstone labs and they said I could go to 23,000 miles but that was about the limit. I really don;t need the AP oil to do 20,000 miles. My van averages about 28,000 miles per year, it is port injected. This weekend it hit 312,000 miles. My driving habits 65% hwy-35% city help with this of course. And, with all the trips to Phoenix, Denver, Grand Canyon etc. I can go close to the 25,000 miles that the Mobil1 person said.the oil could go to. And, if I did use the AP, maybe I could see 25,000 miles on an oil change. But, What filter would go the 28,000 miles the AP would go to? If the ep can go to 23,000 miles the AP should be able to go to 28,000 miles so it then becomes a filter thing. Also, my van does not need to have any top up oil added during the oci!! I use the fram ultra oil filter.

Primarily highway miles or city miles?

My current OCI with EP is 6 months since I can't hit the mileage with city driving. But would that be overkill?

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I use the (much PAO in base stock, and LSPI safe but still high starting TBN) M1 0W-20 EP for a ~4K-5K winter OCI in my 1.6 EcoBoost for that same 'extra margin of safety' reason in a turbo GDI fuel diluter, albeit NOT as bad as the Honda 1.5 TGDIs.
wink.gif

I WILL try the Ravenol DFE 0W-20 for next winter's OCI once it is released soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back