How much balance weight is too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Summit AWD.

I just purchased brand new wheels for summer (I keep my Pirelli Winter tires on stock wheels). Those are American Racing AR893 chrome 20' x 8.5.

I had almost new Goodyear tires 265 50R20 so I decided to install them on the American Racing wheels. I also have new Mopar tire pressure sensors.

When I tried to balanced them, the machine asked about 120 gram (4 oz) per wheel…

I also tried to balance a rim without the tire on it, just for see, and just for the rim it required 60 gramm (2 oz).

Seems a lot!

But of course, the wheels are heavy, about 30 kg (66 lbs) for the combo rim/tire and rim only is about 18 kg (39 lbs). Maybe it's why it needs so much weight...

Is it normal to have so much weight to add for balance my tires?

Thanks

My 15-16" OE steel wheels, naked, take 0.25 oz of weight. They are very very well made.

Are you sure your AR wheels are hub-centric, that is, can be balanced on the middle hole, without a "spider adapter"?

As you grow in size, I would expect a growth in weight needed, but you seem a bit beyond my norm. If it rolls good, that's all that matters.

I once had to add 8 oz to balance a tire. The tire had other problems, like it caused the car to wiggle at 15 mph, then again at 70 mph. It also wasnt vary round.

Originally Posted by Dave9
If the rim needs 2oz and with the tire it needs 4oz, rotate the tire on the rim by 180' then check again.

+1 Seems like a very reasonable suggestion...

American racing wheels are notorious for being out of balance. If its aluminum try grinding a non critical area from the wheel itself on the heavy side on the back.

Thanks for your answers.

I'll try to rotate the tire by 180' and balance again.

I'm surprise that the rim without tire already requires 2 oz btw.

If nothing changes and if it's not too much, I'll just add the 4 oz if it's safe to do this.

We balanced it by the middle hole without any adapter, like we do with others rims. How can I know if it's not hub.centric?

It's not hub centric if the wheel bore is larger than the vehicle hub bore, to fit a variety of vehicles with different hub sizes. If hub centric there will be very little slop before the lug nuts are on. OEM wheels are almost always hub centric. Aftermarket would only be if you pay attention to that detail when selecting them or are intended for specific vehicle hub sizes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
It's not hub centric if the wheel bore is larger than the vehicle hub bore, to fit a variety of vehicles with different hub sizes. If hub centric there will be very little slop before the lug nuts are on. OEM wheels are almost always hub centric. Aftermarket would only be if you pay attention to that detail when selecting them or are intended for specific vehicle hub sizes.

Thanks for the information.

I haven't yet removed the OEM Wheels from the car, so I don't know if the AR wheels bore is larger than the car Wheel bore.

I'll take a look on AR website, maybe I can get the bore size.

[Linked Image]

Bore is 78.30.

So I've just to find Grand Cherokee Hub Bore size and i'll know if it's centred or not?

265/50R20 because they adapted to the needs of modern SUV/CUV buyers, which do most driving on-road, and off-road usually isn't rocks and mud, so something in the 18" to 20" wheel size makes sense for improved road handling.

If you want different wheels and tires you do the same as everyone did all along and replace the factory parts, though if there is space you might be able to shoehorn a 265/60R20 (even heavier than the already heavy setup) in there without a lift kit, which has over 90% of the sidewall a 235/75R16 has... just not so much the AT and especially mudder tread options you get in smaller wheel sizes...

Last edited:
Thanks!

The problem is here nobody balance wheels by lugs… I called many tire shops and nobody even know it exists… They all balance by hub…

If I buy 78.30 to 71.5 hub adapters, then I can balance by hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back