Took a ride in a 2018 Buick TourX

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those questioning why I didn't test drive the car, I don't give my personal info to any dealership, unless they have a vehicle I'm truly interested in purchasing. I would have driven the car if the salesman just wanted to glance at my license to see if I had one. We no longer give dealerships our phone number, email, home address, or our last names when we're just looking. A few years ago, we gave my wife's work number to two dealerships, and they hounded her at work for more than two months.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Leo99
I just got back from a business trip and was shuttled around in Lincoln MXT and Buick minivans. Other than door configuration, they all seem about the same inside. I imagine a station wagon is the same inside.

The Lincoln was disappointing. Didn't ride very smooth for a limo car. The older Buick minivan wasn't very nice, either but the new minivan was nice.

Don't understand going to test drive a car but not driving the car.

Buick hasn't made a minivan in over 12 years, must have been a real classy operation to use vehicles over a decade old.

They make them in China where I was traveling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_GL8

Originally Posted by dishdude
I just got back from a business trip and was shuttled around in Lincoln MXT and Buick minivans. Other than door configuration, they all seem about the same inside. I imagine a station wagon is the same inside.

The Lincoln was disappointing. Didn't ride very smooth for a limo car. The older Buick minivan wasn't very nice, either but the new minivan was nice.

Don't understand going to test drive a car but not driving the car.

Buick hasn't made a minivan in over 12 years, must have been a real classy operation to use vehicles over a decade old.

They make them in China where I was traveling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_GL8

That thing is disgusting.

Originally Posted by Rumble
To those questioning why I didn't test drive the car, I don't give my personal info to any dealership, unless they have a vehicle I'm truly interested in purchasing. I would have driven the car if the salesman just wanted to glance at my license to see if I had one. We no longer give dealerships our phone number, email, home address, or our last names when we're just looking. A few years ago, we gave my wife's work number to two dealerships, and they hounded her at work for more than two months.

Get a free Google phone number for these types of people.

To those questioning why I didn't test drive the car, I don't give my personal info to any dealership, unless they have a vehicle I'm truly interested in purchasing.
OK, but how do you determine if you're truly interested in purchasing unless you test drive it first?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
To those questioning why I didn't test drive the car, I don't give my personal info to any dealership, unless they have a vehicle I'm truly interested in purchasing.
OK, but how do you determine if you're truly interested in purchasing unless you test drive it first?

I make an offer of what I will pay for a particular vehicle. If the dealership accepts my offer, I will take a test drive and make a purchase if the car/truck meets my approval. As to this Buick, I wasn't there to make an offer on it, mostly just curious about the model. Actually, I am in the market for a midsize truck, which I haven't found anything yet to make me part ways with my trusted 92 Chevy. Rest assured, I will test drive whatever I intend to buy if a dealer accepts my offer.

I make an offer of what I will pay for a particular vehicle. If the dealership accepts my offer, I will take a test drive and make a purchase if the car/truck meets my approval. As to this Buick, I wasn't there to make an offer on it, mostly just curious about the model. Actually, I am in the market for a midsize truck, which I haven't found anything yet to make me part ways with my trusted 92 Chevy. Rest assured, I will test drive whatever I intend to buy if a dealer accepts my offer.

That's opposite how most folks do it, but you be you.

They have made a lot of improvements with vehicles in the last 25 years.........................

Last edited:
Seems like some dealers are willing to let these cars go for $10K off MSRP, although not in my area.

I started reading up on them. Some reviews give the transmission some negative marks, but otherwise, no major negatives. I guess you'll be fine if you don't expect to drive this car in a sporty manner. There is no 'S' mode. Car And Driver called this transmission recalcitrant.

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
But the TourX has its own gearbox woes. The eight-speed automatic upshifts as early as it can, often lugging the engine below 2000 rpm in seventh or eighth gear, as if following the commands of some phantom eco mode. But the TourX has no such setting—nor any sport mode, although it surely could use one. At most cruising speeds, the TourX feels as if it has half its horsepower, with anything less than mashing the accelerator producing only a lethargic climb in revs. When the transmission does eventually downshift, it rarely snaps cleanly into the appropriate second or third gear without first landing at some intermediate step along the way. The solution is to shift it yourself, which means prodding the gearshift lever fore and aft, as the TourX lacks paddle shifters. Even then, shifts are sedately delivered, leaving the driver plenty of time to ponder why this transmission is in this car. The answer: Buick reps have said that the Aisin eight-speed is just a stopgap measure until it can start using GM's nine-speed unit, perhaps as early as next year. Hope springs eternal.

That was written a year ago. The 2019 MY still has the same 8-speed Aisin trans. There are also rumors this vehicle might get scrapped altogether, given the change of ownership. It was announced in January of this year that production at German plant where this car is made is being cut in half. Given that America hates station wagons, it's probably just a matter of time.

But think about it. You know at the beginning if you can buy the car, saves lots of wasted time haggling, test driving etc.

Looking at the OP's stable he doesn't do it very often.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

But think about it. You know at the beginning if you can buy the car, saves lots of wasted time haggling, test driving etc.

I typically do it that way as well.

It kind of throws the sales staff off their game a bit and allows you to negotiate a price first.

My understanding is that he's haggling first and once settling on an acceptable price, test driving the car to see if he likes it.

Me and the Mrs. went for a spin in a new 2018 Buick Regal TourX wagon. I didn't drive it, as the salesman said he would need to copy my drivers license, which I wasn't willing to do. So we just had him do the driving. .

I test drove a truck today and didn't think twice about them copying my DL. What do I have to worry about now? It seems to be SOP, how will you buy a car without driving it first?

When we went to look at cars for my daughter they let me the wife and daughter take it out for a spin by ourselves.

I pitched one of these hard to the wife. She isn't into the style. Sadly, we will have to keep driving her Accord on road trips instead of a TourX. I even briefly considered selling my Golf Sportwagen in order to buy one but i believe these Buicks will crash in value pretty hard over the next 5 years. I can wait.

Originally Posted by dareo
I pitched one of these hard to the wife. She isn't into the style. Sadly, we will have to keep driving her Accord on road trips instead of a TourX. I even briefly considered selling my Golf Sportwagen in order to buy one but i believe these Buicks will crash in value pretty hard over the next 5 years. I can wait.

I think they've already crashed hard. But yeah, probably be able to pick one of the few sold for cheap in a few years.

I am sure the Buick TourX is a good wagon, but the black body cladding is silly to me. Buick is trying to make it look like it is a SUV with rugged cladding, but made no attempt to give the TourX any additional ground clearance. Throw on body cladding, and the buyers will come. By the lack of TourX's on the road, I guess Buick hasn't fooled enough people.

It's kind of like what Toyota did with the current Prius C. Car companies ridding on the popularity of the SUV wave.

Throw on body cladding, and the buyers will come.
They're trying a cheap trick to fool idiots into thinking that it's not a station wagon. People on Buick forums are taking the stupid cladding off. Apparently it comes off fairly easily and the car looks better without it, IMO.

Originally Posted by Voleak
By the lack of TourX's on the road, I guess Buick hasn't fooled enough people.
This vehicle isn't being advertised anywhere that I can see, so no wonder it doesn't sell.

That, and the general station wagon hate in the US.

Originally Posted by Voleak
I am sure the Buick TourX is a good wagon, but the black body cladding is silly to me. Buick is trying to make it look like it is a SUV with rugged cladding, but made no attempt to give the TourX any additional ground clearance. Throw on body cladding, and the buyers will come. By the lack of TourX's on the road, I guess Buick hasn't fooled enough people.

It's kind of like what Toyota did with the current Prius C. Car companies ridding on the popularity of the SUV wave.

The low ground clearance, along with the engine start/stop system, was what steered me away from the model. The PT Cruiser we're getting rid of also has low clearance, which I've managed to mangle the lower air-dam over the years.

The low ground clearance, along with the engine start/stop system, was what steered me away from the model.
Start/Stop can be disabled for about $140. As far as ground clearance, it sounds like you should be looking at an SUV and not a station wagon.
smile.gif

For me, the lower ground clearance is this vehicle's appeal - practical, yet still drives/handles like a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back