Why would 10w burn more than 5w?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted awhile back about my 09 Nissan 2.5 using oil and always has. I have always ran 5w30, all variety but mostly synthetic. At the advice of some members I opted to use 10-30, (M1HM). I'm a hair less than 500 miles on this oil and the car has burnt a half quart. The 5-30 usually used, give or take 3/4 to a quart every 1-1500k. I'm stumped?

Originally Posted by D1dad
I posted awhile back about my 09 Nissan 2.5 using oil and always has. I have always ran 5w30, all variety but mostly synthetic. At the advice of some members I opted to use 10-30, (M1HM). I'm a hair less than 500 miles on this oil and the car has burnt a half quart. The 5-30 usually used, give or take 3/4 to a quart every 1-1500k. I'm stumped?

It doesn't matter what oil weight you use your rings never seated.

posted awhile back about my 09 Nissan 2.5 using oil and always has. I have always ran 5w30, all variety but mostly synthetic. At the advice of some members I opted to use 10-30, (M1HM). I'm a hair less than 500 miles on this oil and the car has burnt a half quart. The 5-30 usually used, give or take 3/4 to a quart every 1-1500k. I'm stumped

------------------------------

What brand of 5w30 did you use?
Have you any prior experience with M-1 in this engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

It doesn't matter what oil weight you use your rings never seated.

This does sound likely. If it has consumed since day 1, there's nothing an oil is going to do to stop it, as there is likely something wrong with the engine, like say ring seating, as noted.

Prior consumption of 3/4 to a quart every 1,000 or 1,500 miles would be considered acceptable by many car makers. That said, if you switched brands and viscosity, let the new oil settle in for at least one full OCI. Depending on the result, you may want to go back to your old brand.

Is this the first oil change to Mobil 1? My experience over the years is going to Mobil 1 after using another oil brand I've experienced "some" oil usage. With the second oil change with Mobil 1 the oil usage stopped. Since you've been using oil all along I don't think the Mobil1 will stop it but at worst it'll improve from what you are experiencing with the first Mobil 1 oil change with the second Mobil 1 oil change.

Whimsey

If it has been doing this since day one with no possible intervention by Nissan then I would use a less expensive oil from here on out.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Prior consumption of 3/4 to a quart every 1,000 or 1,500 miles would be considered acceptable by many car makers. .

Because they support their wallets not their customers or the products they build.

These discussions are foreign to me … used M1 for decades and no consumption in anything

I drove my first 528e from 150K miles to 350 Kmiles with an oil leak that used a qt every 1500 miles. That is when I discovered Supertech dino.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
If it has been doing this since day one with no possible intervention by Nissan then I would use a less expensive oil from here on out.

Me too. No oil is fixing improperly seated rings.

I agree with some (NormanBuntz and Whimsey) about giving it an OCI or two to settle down.

I have experienced oil comsumption and RMS leaks in several cars after using M1 high mileage. These are cars with high mileage. What used to be a wettish area below the RMS became a line of oil. I have a bunch of it and as I use it up I am switching to plain old shell clean engine dino oil from HD for $10 for 5 quarts or other brand synthetic stuff on sale.

At least here in EU 5w oils are in 99.9% synthetic (grp. III and more)....and 10w are most often semisyn (XHVI...)

We dont know 5w conventional oils...unless they are imported from over the pond (B&S....)

Maybe thats your case here...

The first time I tried high mileage oil in my Caprice (m1 5w30 because it was the start of winter) it seemed to use more the first thousand miles. The last 2k miles it seemed to go back to normal. First time I've ever really noticed this phenomenon.

Yeah Nissan stamped the dipstick and it never used what they considered "excessive" and it really hasn't ever consumed anymore whether it was 30k or 100. As far as M1, I have used it in the 5-30 flavor as well as pphm and just about everything in between. M1 consumed the most and I only used it once. I usually used qs synthetic or shell synthetic because I bought several cases when a gas station was closing down. I'm running to Cincinnati tomorrow which is 400 miles round trip so I'll report back. The rings makes since, just [censored] me off because this car is as close to mint as you'll find.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
At least here in EU 5w oils are in 99.9% synthetic (grp. III and more)....and 10w are most often semisyn (XHVI...)

We dont know 5w conventional oils...unless they are imported from over the pond (B&S....)

Maybe thats your case here...

With the exception of Mobil basestocks all 5w in U.S. are roughly 50% group 3 SN/SN+ that is.

Yeah Nissan stamped the dipstick and it never used what they considered "excessive" and it really hasn't ever consumed anymore whether it was 30k or 100. As far as M1, I have used it in the 5-30 flavor as well as pphm and just about everything in between. M1 consumed the most and I only used it once. I usually used qs synthetic or shell synthetic because I bought several cases when a gas station was closing down. I'm running to Cincinnati tomorrow which is 400 miles round trip so I'll report back. The rings makes since, just [censored] me off because this car is as close to mint as you'll find.

One quart 1000 miles isn't the end of an engine but you could do some checks on it.
You may just have some leaky valve seals. does it smoke at start up? and then stop when running for a while?
Note: If it keeps smoking then you have problems

Originally Posted by dave1251
10W30's tend to be lighter at 100C versus their 5W30 counterparts.

For some strange reason HTHS is usually lower also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back