Feel like an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I checked the oil level of my GS500 and wanted to top it off, so just left dipstick resting on its threads and went inside to get some oil.
Could not find any, but it wasn't too low anyway so went for a nice long ride, around 2 hours. Noticed my right boot had a thin layer of oil on it in the evening.
Today I checked and yep, dipstick's there, still resting on its threads, not tightened, lucky I did not lose it... right crankcase cover has some oil on it too.
Should I expect any damage? I mean if oil mist could find its way out, dust could also find its way in, right?

I doubt any dust got in. There is usually a bit of positive crankcase pressure on a running engine.

I would not worry about this at all.

At least you did not leave the oil fill hole cap off like I did...one time.
29.gif

Originally Posted by Atesz792

Should I expect any damage? I mean if oil mist could find its way out, dust could also find its way in, right?

Very likely not. Just for shucks and grins what was the current level of the oil after you sorted this out?

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Very likely not. Just for shucks and grins what was the current level of the oil after you sorted this out?

I was so glad I did not lose the dipstick that I just tightened it & left. Will buy oil over the weekend and report back.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Your biggest concern might be that one boot is darker than the other now.
crazy.gif

LOL. They are both black btw. One is shinier though
smile.gif

I once drained the trans fluid in a 1983 Harley. Got interrupted, came back later and went for a 2 hr ride. Got home and realized
I had no oil in the transmission! It never missed a beat. Those old HD transmissions were certainly bulletproof!

You should not be concerned, as Astro said there was positive crankcase pressure from blow-by as the engine runs so nothing got in. I am pulling similar stunts more and more lately, not sure if it's the aging process (mid 50's), stress (busy life), or side effect of the concussion from 2017. Whatever the case it's both annoying and embarrassing.

Today I wiped the dipstick nice & clean, added half a litre of 10w40 and realized only then that I promised an actual level reading before doing so, sorry about that.

Anyway, half a litre brought it right up to the F mark, maybe a hair over too.
3.4 litre total capacity.
Thanks for being nice everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back