LEO Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when LEO used to use MagLite flashlights. I figured if they were good enough for LEO, they should be good enough for me.
Watching LIVE PD, I notice all the LEO across the US are using the same brand/make of flashlight. And boy, does it ever put out some light! Does anyone here know what brand/make that flashlight is? Cost/price?

Probably a Streamlight. Usually a Stinger or Polystinger.

I don't like them, but I don't do patrol, so I chose something a little shorter in a Coast HP7R

Get yourself a Streamlight 4AA for about $24
You'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

Alternatively.... I have had GREAT luck with the CREE LED flashlights on eBay that use a single 18650 battery.

They are FANTASTIC for only $6-$7 each!

No idea, however I love my Anker LC90s. I have 3 of them and they are all awesome. Rechargeable 18650 FTW. Anker customer service is stellar too (had to replace my first one due to the charge indicator not turning green when full). No more D battery powered Maglites for this guy. Can't see myself ever buying a different light.

I'm up to some 30+ different flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, work lights, etc. Below are just some of them.

From a capacity and power delivery, it's hard to beat an 18650/21700/26650 Li-Ion cell format, but I do have some smaller AA/14500/18350 lights that come in handy as well due to the smaller size. Ability to deliver 500+ lumen out of an AA-sized light is quite something.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a Maglite I purchased back in the eighties. Still going strong. It's the 3D model. I did upgrade it to the LED module for better and brighter light. It's heavy which is the reason LEOs drifted away from them. They carry enough weight as it is. On the other hand, it makes a solid weapon as well if the need arises.

The newer lights are super bright and tiny. Battery consumption in some of them is one thing to think about.

They do make a lot of really nice lights these days. No more huge heavy beast that doubles as a club. These days with LCD. I wouldn't even think of carrying anything bigger than C cell size.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have a Maglite I purchased back in the eighties. Still going strong. It's the 3D model. I did upgrade it to the LED module for better and brighter light. It's heavy which is the reason LEOs drifted away from them. They carry enough weight as it is. On the other hand, it makes a solid weapon as well if the need arises.

The newer lights are super bright and tiny. Battery consumption in some of them is one thing to think about.

Yes but that's why I like them its just like a night stick. Have three of them still.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I have LED maglites. Rarely use them but are reliable and put out enough light for my needs.

That's funny....I've had 2 of them.....both UN-reliable.....1 sits in my desk drawer in pieces...the other is long gone....was using it in the basement one day and it quit working and ended up throwing it at the basement wall because it was a POS like the other one. No more Maglites for me.

Maglites are more than just a light. The little ones don't provide much of a defensive weapon.

I once dropped a mini mag lite into freezing cold ice water about 3 ft deep and muddy from putting out duck hunting decoys. Daylight came and thought it was gone. Next day went to same spot and the water cleared up with mud not being stirred up overnight and my mini mag lite was shining in the cold water. Amazingly well built flashlights and there are plenty of other good ones now too.

I usually see them carrying streamlights. There are a few real nice Olight's I want... snagged a free i3E Eos on Black Friday. Little AAA flashlight that's surprisingly bright.

9E70635E-D028-4B4D-ADEE-4B6F3B615A57.jpeg

FWIW I select either Surefire (maybe with a Malkoff P60) or Streamlight for my weapons lights... but if you are just interested in output there are some very exciting chinese options out there. May favorites are Jaxman, Convoy and Lumintop...

Last edited:
It's the Pelican 7060 LAPD flashlight.

There's hundreds of pages written about what one wants in a tactical flashlight though.

The Pelican was a huge deal at the time, but 11 years have passed, and it has been a very
dynamic 11 years in LED design and power electronic design. LED efficiency and output have
really changed in that time. Improvements now are much less substantial.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I usually see them carrying streamlights. There are a few real nice Olight's I want... snagged a free i3E Eos on Black Friday. Little AAA flashlight that's surprisingly bright.

That looks like a good EDC light, I was eyeing one of the Streamlights myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back