Honda Camera Design...FAIL

I'd RTV/glue/tape/whatever to get it fixed. Only has to last a few years. Then if it fails again, then it's an old car and just one more thing that no longer works. Didn't need no stinkin' camera in the first place.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
...To be honest, the price they gave you doesn't seem too unreasonable considering as how you paid $300 for the part. Around here labor is anywhere from 90-120/hr. Factor parts, labor and mark-up and the $443 quote doesn't sound too off base.
The listed retail price ~$300, I paid ~$205 including shipping.

Ahh I see, I misunderstood your original post. Yeah, knowing that, $443 for the job is definitely on the high end.

It's crazy isn't it?

The chrome strip on the lift gate of my 2016 Nissan Quest houses the reverse camera and button to pop open the gate. The part is termed a "finisher" per Nissan. It's something like a $1200+ part!!

Originally Posted by Danno
2 sided 3M auto tape used for mounting emblems on cars would have worked.

Replace the foam gasket with it and trim it to match the foam gasket.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03615-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B000BO9L00/ref=sr_1_6?crid=43UGCWA5LN1N&keywords=3m+auto+tape&qid=1555625559&s=gateway&sprefix=3+m+auto+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6

^^ This, or use silicone sealer and glue it in. Problem solved.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
The message is clear, they don't want your kind. They want the revenue generators to return. If it was me I would first attempt to modify/fabricate a fix for the part. When that failed do what you are doing.

That about sums it up right there. It's no different any place any make.

You should not expect goodwill if you aren't a good customer. You can look at this negatively if you like, but it is a fact of life. The dealer or manufactures are going to reward good customers with goodwill, it is a reward for being a good customer.

Now perhaps if this camera breaks often enough it might become a special policy where everyone gets it.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
... Some dealers shine, others suck.

Indeed. More than half the Honda, Hyundai, and Toyota dealers I have encountered are awful: Unwilling to fix things under warranty, exorbitant prices for repairs out of warranty, the sloppy careless work they do, deceitful marketing and communication from their service department, the list goes on.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect
Originally Posted by doitmyself
... Some dealers shine, others suck.

Indeed. More than half the Honda, Hyundai, and Toyota dealers I have encountered are awful: Unwilling to fix things under warranty, exorbitant prices for repairs out of warranty, the sloppy careless work they do, deceitful marketing and communication from their service department, the list goes on.

The biggest offenders around here are the Ford dealers.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Sayjac
If the part can be listed online for $196 and change, what do you suppose their cost is?

Usually their cost is 50-60% of MSRP.

Wholesale, online and retail sales make up a very small percentage of any parts department's revenue. The bulk of their sales will stem from actual repair work. Keep in mind that warranty will often pay cost plus 40% for the parts, which is a lot more money than a dealer will make from online or wholesale sales.

I bought a Motorcraft wheel bearing from the Ford dealer and paid about $150 w/shop discount. The same part at Rockauto is about $100. Retail is $200 and insurance got billed $200.

Last edited:
On references to goodwill, personally I never expected anything. Exact words, "worth a shot". All factors listed here considered, it was imo. As for any change in diy in habits, as long as I'm able that's not happening. So even knowing what I know now about dealer goodwill in this instance, wouldn't change a thing. Had I purchased the extended warranty offered at time of purchase, there would have been a 'minimum' $100 charge. Add in warranty cost, it's still far more expensive than my outcome.

And should be considered, there's zero guarantee that even had I chosen to have all oil and filter changes at the stealer, I would have received goodwill. Not to mention, the savings I had by diy using oil and filter of my choice, knowing it's done right each and every time.

Bottom line as topic says, a failed Honda design here. Chalk it up to a life lesson.

so it was under the 3 year warranty but not covered? sounds like crap to me.

Subaru covered my streaking wiper blades 2.5year into car ownership under the warranty.

A regular customer may get goodwill or portion of repair covered by Honda or dealer.
Clearly the operative word in that sentence assertion is "may". Conversely, may 'not' also a likely possibility. A 'portion' of ~$443 estimate could still well be more than total paid I this case with diy. Best case regular customer in this anecdote would have been total 3 annual oil and filter changes well within MM%.

Originally Posted by Rand
so it was under the 3 year warranty but not covered? sounds like crap to me....
~6 months outside bumper to bumper warranty coverage. But would still agree with the latter point.
56.gif

The line on warranty has to be drawn somewhere. We will usually try to get things goodwilled if they are a couple weeks out of warranty, but if everything was goodwilled everybody would expect everything free for the life of the car.

(Trust me we have had people 3-4 years out of warranty "but you fixed xxxxx before for free")....

They are $140 on Rockauto for your 2015 Accord. It is a Dorman part but for the savings, I would have used it over the $300 Honda one.

^^^Bumper to bumper warranty, 3years/36k miles. I agree, seems like should be covered, why I took a shot. Perhaps if I had regular dealer service, dealer goodwill might have kicked in. Seems like the latter was implied by service manager and Honda.
Whichever comes first. The car is 5 yrs old.

This thread is going on 2 years old...
Yep, a point apparently missed in some comments after resurrection a couple days ago. However updating since brought back up, OEM replacement still holding/working, knock wood. And still a lousy/cheap design. I doubt Honda has changed the design.

I don't believe there was a Dorman replacement (~$148 RA w/shipping) 'at the time' I needed to replace. Looking at Amazon seems there's several aftermarket cams available now, indicating to me this is a common issue. I see complaints on Amazon about the Dorman not being sealed/weatherproof. Though some insulation foam tape might easily solve that. Not sure without a closer look.

Reiterating, never "expected" goodwill here, even for an obviously lousy design. Did think "worth a shot."

As an aside, only recognized thread back up because "alert" feature did it's job.(y)

Back