Rear suspension knocking - mystery solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
My right rear wheel was making knocking sound when hit bumb or pothole. MEchanics didnt find anything wrong. I put my car on the jack, and look what I found:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3 little stones jammed in spring mount, and spring was bumping into them.

yep , found the same thing going on with my wife's ford focus. Making a terrible noise in the back...took it back to the ford dealer as it was still under warranty , they couldn't find anything ...I jacked it up and there it was a small stone stuck in the spring...makes me wonder if they even looked for the noise and if they did I think they need to find better mechanics

Some times people over-look the simple reasons.
An inexpensive fix. Good you found it.

I was driving down a dirt road and all of a sudden heard a loud rubbing sound from front of vehicle.
I thought, "great, now what", got out and looked, nothing obvious.
Started driving and planning the repair when all of a sudden the noise got really loud and suddenly went away.
Most have been a stone wedged somewhere

Rocks Jammed between the brake disc and the shield sound horrific,but are easy fixes as well.

Originally Posted by FT92
yep , found the same thing going on with my wife's ford focus. Making a terrible noise in the back...took it back to the ford dealer as it was still under warranty , they couldn't find anything ...I jacked it up and there it was a small stone stuck in the spring...makes me wonder if they even looked for the noise and if they did I think they need to find better mechanics

I think if they found the stones and removed them, you might have been on the hook for their time. Worked out better this way. IMO.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Some times people over-look the simple reasons.
An inexpensive fix. Good you found it.

Occam's Razor

even when you know little about whatever sometimes carefully looking around you can get lucky$$$

My 92 Cavalier had a knocking sound in the rear suspension and had for awhile. I finally decided to take a look at it and discovered that the lower bolt for the passenger side rear shock was slightly loose. Tightened it up and no more sound. I should have looked at it a lot sooner.

I had a tiny stone rattling around in the vanes of a vented brake disc once, sounded absolutely horrific. I disassembled the whole brake assembly twice, and on the second attempt the thing just fell out of the disc. One of those days when you don't know whether to laugh because the terrible noise isn't going to end in a terrible bill, or cry because of the time you wasted searching for a tiny stone. All part of life's rich tapestry I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back