Polishing Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I spent a little while on this rainy day polishing some wheels. Two down two to go.

778B7134-63A5-4135-8ECF-65A88DA88DE0.jpeg

Exactly, I used 220 grit sandpaper to remove the deep scratches then work to 2000 grit before using some metal polish.

Originally Posted by SubyRoo
Exactly, I used 220 grit sandpaper to remove the deep scratches then work to 2000 grit before using some metal polish.

Are they clear coated, or just polished metal?

The reason I ask is that my Honda's wheels look similarly bad but I suspect they're clear coated. Which might make working on them easier, or harder!

Looks like you did a great job. All hand work or did you use a random orbital sander? Something very rewarding about taking a grungy aluminum part and making it look good again.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by SubyRoo

Are they clear coated, or just polished metal?

The reason I ask is that my Honda's wheels look similarly bad but I suspect they're clear coated. Which might make working on them easier, or harder!

They were clear coated but it was flaking off on two of them. If you don't have any deep scratches and the clear coat on yours is still pretty good you could try some rubbing compound first and see how that does.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Looks good....are you gonna clear coat or ceramic coat them ?

Well I would like to coat them in some way to keep them looking nice but I don't know if clear coat would adhere to a polished surface. I haven't ever used any ceramic coatings so if you have any recommendations Im open to that as well.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
Looks like you did a great job. All hand work or did you use a random orbital sander? Something very rewarding about taking a grungy aluminum part and making it look good again.

Thanks! The initial sanding to remove the leftover clear and scratches I did with a random orbital sander. I used several grits after that by hand, once you get the coarse scratches sanded out it doesn't really take much sanding between each following step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back