CarBeDone strikes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story, a friend went to the car auctions after a night of drinking with his friend who flips cars. Unfortunately the car he won a bid on was a heap pile and his wife wants the car gone ASAP. I'm helping him out, it needs new brakes amongst other things.

I should have rebuilt the OEM caliper, the banjo bolt stripped as soon as I tried to install it. CarBeDone strikes again. If this second one has the same problem, off to Pick & Pull for a caliper I hope I can rebuild.

54F25EFA-ECDE-4585-9975-4B3DF0E3CA68.jpeg

48CA585E-437B-4DD1-8E7C-06B1557D833B.jpeg

Originally Posted by Chris142
I wonder how they have managed stay in business with all the failures.

Massive profit margins.

They're doing better at cleaning up the cores. They used to just paint over the old grease with a thick coat of black paint that was like shoe polish.

What kind of car is it? If you're lucky, Raybestos makes an Element3 caliper, which is all-NEW not reman
smile.gif

If it's a reasonably recent and common GM car, you're lucky because GM still offers all-new non-reman OEM calipers for many of their cars.

3G Eclipse? I wouldn't pay an auction fee to get one for free. What a turd box. Stripped out Cardone brake caliper is par for the course with the rest of the car

Got the new caliper. Cardon't doesn't supply a new banjo bolt for bare calipers - just bracketed ones. The piston was repainted, but the boot on this one was in better shape.

Since that part is dealer-only and the threads on the old bolt aren't that buggered up, I was able to clean up the threads. I cleaned up the slide pin bores on the OE bracket and lubed them up with Cerma-Glyde, which is the "ceramic" version of Sil-Glyde as I didn't have Toyota Rubber Grease or Dow 111 on hand(it's at the parent's place).

We'll see how this turns out.

Ugh.. My luck, that would have been the last one they had in stock and I'd have to wait days and make another trip.

Originally Posted by JTK
Ugh.. My luck, that would have been the last one they had in stock and I'd have to wait days and make another trip.

The part was cheap on Amazon($15!), and the cost difference between Rock and O'Reilly was close when shipping was factored in. But since this is Cardon't, I'd rather have the luxury of local returns. Amazon would have asked me to drop it off at a staffed location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back