Koi (carp) bait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this question out on a few forums...

Someone released koi into our pond, the incredible stupidity of releasing these invasive fish into a pristine pond can be the subject of another thread. Needles to say, these are very destructive to the native species and we have some of the best bass fishing locally. We want them gone. The State won't help as the conditions of the lake, cool and clear, will not let them establish a huge population but they will sustain in the shallower, weedy lagoons where the best fishing is and where the native fish spawn.

These fish are now closing in on 3 feet...monsters. I have only seen 3-4 of them, but there must be more. Our neighbor took out a few with a bow, but folks haven't had any luck landing one. I've tried worms, bread balls and sinking and floating flies with no luck. Someone said to try sweet corn kernels on a small hook, that will be next.

Some here must fish for carp..help.

My plan is to try myself, but I also pinned a few $20's up in the basement as a bounty for any family or friends children who land and kill one.

I wish I was close ! I can't catch a fish if my life depended on it but trying is what is fun.

Carp will definitely feed on top. Throw a handful of trout chow or catfish chow in the shallow water, and see if they go after it. If you can get them feeding on top while baiting them, bait a #4 Eagle Claw widebend or #1 plain shank hook with a few pieces of corn, attach a bobber with a 12 inch drop, and hold on because it's going to get fun. Spawning time is right around the corner, so they should definitely be in the shallow water.

Thanks all. Ill try all of the above.

CT8, your probably not a kid, but i'd still give you $20 if you got one
grin.gif

Sweet corn is indeed effective. I've landed a huge carp that I had to drag up the shore at a local lock where they are plentiful.

Koi Carp are very invasive in NZ, every lake and river in the area where I live is covered in them, they are very destructive. They love to feed in the shallows, and when the river floods they will move onto the land now covered....when the water recedes they are stranded by the hundreds. We have a Bow Hunt every year, and huge amounts are caught - a large tractor powered mulcher turns them into burly.

We used to carp fish when I was a kid.

White bread moistened with olive oil was OK but satisfied the urge to fiddle...but sweet corn never missed.

Europeans would pay us 10c per inch if they were over a foot long, and tell us to throw them back if too short (which is illegal, they have to be disposed of 10 metres from the waterline)

That is a terrible situation..

I've seen some nifty looking homemade fish traps on youtube or the likes. Might be worth a try.

Us e a .22 rifle with hollow points when they surface for feeding. A lot more effective than trying to line catch them!

Originally Posted by Audios
Larger ones go for big money, maybe you can sell to local fish stores?

That's only when your buying them , when you want to get rid of big koi they have no value .

Originally Posted by Silk
Koi Carp are very invasive in NZ, every lake and river in the area where I live is covered in them, they are very destructive. They love to feed in the shallows, and when the river floods they will move onto the land now covered....when the water recedes they are stranded by the hundreds. We have a Bow Hunt every year, and huge amounts are caught - a large tractor powered mulcher turns them into burly.

WOW!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back