Please recommend a gas card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by R_W_M
I buy gas gift cards at the grocery. If the card is compromised, your losses are limited to the balance on the card.

Publix Supermarket has the $10 off any $50 gas card with $50 of groceries.

Excludes alcohol, pharmacy prescriptions, stamps, tobacco products, lotto, perfume.

I've gotten at least 70 gas cards over the past 10 years.

A branded gas card for me would never work,as I always seek out the cheapest gas. Usually HEB or Walmart. Sometimes Kroger or Tom Thumb.

I applied for a Costco Visa card but they turned me down. That has me mystified because I haven't used a credit card in over 20 years. I have no debt and don't owe anybody anything. Meanwhile, Capitol One says they're going to send me a Platinum Mastercard. I'll probably cancel the Mastercard as soon as I get it because it's useless at Costco gas pumps. When I applied for it, I thought I was applying for a Visa card.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I applied for a Costco Visa card but they turned me down. That has me mystified because I haven't used a credit card in over 20 years.

That could be the problem. IF you have no credit history, they can see, they might not take a risk. Go to your bank and get a secured credit card with $500- 1000 in an account for collateral, money you will not touch. Then use the secured card. Use it and pay every charge immediately to build a credit history.

Originally Posted by spasm3
That could be the problem. IF you have no credit history, they can see, they might not take a risk. Go to your bank and get a secured credit card with $500- 1000 in an account for collateral, money you will not touch. Then use the secured card. Use it and pay every charge immediately to build a credit history.

My bank doesn't do Visa, only Mastercard; otherwise I would've started there first.

This is funny because the bill collectors have no trouble giving me credit.
grin2.gif

My bank doesn't do Visa, only Mastercard; otherwise I would've started there first.

grin2.gif

45 posts later and the OP answers its own question.

I can't claim how well this works as we just signed up today, but "Pay with Gas Buddy" gives you $.05 off a gallon at any station. Just tie your checking account to it and they send you a card that pulls it out of your account. Seems a safer option than using a debit card at a pump. Will see how it goes in a week or so after they send me the card.

Pay with Gas Buddy

Originally Posted by Pat in Speedway
I can't claim how well this works as we just signed up today, but "Pay with Gas Buddy" gives you $.05 off a gallon at any station. Just tie your checking account to it and they send you a card that pulls it out of your account. Seems a safer option than using a debit card at a pump. Will see how it goes in a week or so after they send me the card.

Pay with Gas Buddy

Gas Buddy will really like the spending info and patterns you have to sell to other parties.

In Australia most service stations you fill up first then go pay inside.

As the payment terminal is inside and supervised skimming of cards from pumps is not really a thing.

Also paywave/paypass/tapandpay is very common and pretty secure.

I use one debit card tied to my single account for all my money.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Pat in Speedway

Pay with Gas Buddy

Gas Buddy will really like the spending info and patterns you have to sell to other parties.

There are a few fuel pay apps coming out here however they tie you to one brand service station only, rather than the cheapest station.

grin2.gif

The big banks are like this-- citi does MC while BofA does VISA. Many decades ago VISA was called "BankAmeriCard".

Cancelling the brand-new Mastercard might hurt your credit.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Good point about some not being able to obtain a credit card but then again, they can pay cash.

Certainly, but that isn't quite as convenient. Here, depending upon jurisdiction, some gas stations are locked up at night and you must prepay. Some will go and give the attendant cash, but for people who don't have credit and don't carry a lot of cash, debit is a sensible option at the pumps. Generally speaking, debit in Canada has been very safe. Fraud complaints from debit cards are virtually non-existent. It's actually amusing, when you go to some convenience stores, they have tape covering the magnetic stripe reader, simply because they work with almost nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back