Shown: % of manufacturers using GDI, CVT, Stop Start, Turbo, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dave1027
This is why I have no desire for a new vehicle. I don't care for any of those things except maybe the CD player.
smile.gif

CD player is going the way of dodo. Touchscreen radio with smartphone integration took over.

Originally Posted by Maxima97
very good chart. No wonder Toyota has the best quality. Less turbo, less CVT, less GDI, higher reliability.
VW, BMW, all buring oil and carbon accumulation. CVT vs Gear transmisson, I choose Gear.

IMO it's more of a reflection of consumer tastes. Toyota owners favor reliability and running costs over performance. It's why they for example don't have any fleet* engines which make over 100hp/liter.

*Engines used in a fleet of cars, not just a one-off high performance low volume model.

I'm an outlier once again; I have two GDI turbos(N20 and N55) and neither one uses any oil between 10k mile oil changes.

I couldn't imagine buying a car now that didn't have a turbo. Turbos are wonderful.

Originally Posted by E365
I couldn't imagine buying a car now that didn't have a turbo. Turbos are wonderful.

Every vehicle since 1988 I have owned (4) has had a turbo. Guess how many turbo problems over thirty years of vehicle ownership. Zip

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
So stay away from german and american cars if you hate stop/start.

recently drove a Lincoln MKC with the stop start as a loaner. Absolutely abysmal, in lieu of using the start stop technology of their hybrids where the engine starts almost without notice, very smooth, this one jerked every time, very annoying when it started up at a stop light,. that plus the 6 speed transmission seemed to keep looking for the correct gear, compared to a CVT it was very jerky transmission. Would not consider this an option.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I'm an outlier once again; I have two GDI turbos(N20 and N55) and neither one uses any oil between 10k mile oil changes.

My N55 doesn't consume oil either.

I'm surprised (i.e. skeptical) that the GDI numbers are that low for Toyota and Nissan/Mitsubishi. Perhaps for the Nissan/Mitsubishi side of things, Mitsubishi doesn't have a lot of DI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back