Inside an Aussie V-8 Supercars Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will bet that those 'cross ram' intakes are quite the 'pretty penny', real carbon fiber stacks and all.
wink.gif
crazy2.gif

I was just watching this video again and taking some notes for future reference. What surprised me was how thin of a ringpack they are using. They are using a .7/.7/2.0mm ringpack which is incredibly thin. I am in the planning stages of either a 331 or a 347 SBF build and the Mahle PowerPak pistons just changed from a 1.5/1.5/3.0mm pack to a 1.0/1.0/2.0mm pack which helps free up some hp. Also interesting to note that most SBC and stroker SBF setups use a .927" wrist pin while they are using a .866" wristpin from Bill Miller Engineering. The casidium/DLC coatings are really incredible, when you put a bit of oil on a pin that has been coated you can barely hold in with 2 fingers as it will slip out easily.

nice vid, thanks. i enjoy seeing the "over the top" technology in racing engines of course quite costly. if not for the cost a very efficient high power street engine would be great in an older "hot rod" checked the Nulon site, as expected PAO + group V race oils, but their full synthetic is PAO unlike most in USA, prolly $$$ as everything in Stralia

Doing some more research and notice not a single one of those cars or teams is using thin oil.... Aussies like the Very thick stuff!!!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Doing some more research and notice not a single one of those cars or teams is using thin oil.... Aussies like the Very thick stuff!!!

Racing pushrod/OHV engines at high revs, in ridiculous ambient temps, sometimes for L-O-N-G periods of time, would tend to demand just that!
19.gif
wink.gif

The Caltex team asked some local Journos to stop in at the service station on the way to the track, pick up some Havoline conventional 20W50 and bring it with them.

Poured 10L into the dry sump tank then tracked it.

Yes I know it was a media stunt...but they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back