2006 chrysler town and country 5w30 o.k.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 5w20 (mobil 1 extended performance) as a norm and as speced, but accidently used the 5w30 mobil 1 extended performance jug meant for my jeep by mistake. It only has 60,000 miles. Not a big deal, is it? Btw, I did do a search first but came up empty. Thanks in advance.

No problem what so ever, especially now that summer is coming. As a general rule, ultra thin oils are there for fuel economy reasons, not for reduced wear rates.

Originally Posted by hooperswish1
I use 5w20 (mobil 1 extended performance) as a norm and as speced, but accidently used the 5w30 mobil 1 extended performance jug meant for my jeep by mistake. It only has 60,000 miles. Not a big deal, is it? Btw, I did do a search first but came up empty. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by hooperswish1
Btw it is the 3.3 engine.

I always liked the 3.3 engine, a lot. My father had one in an Intrepid. His 1997 Intrepid called for 5w30 in his 3.3, I wouldn't worry a bit and I'd probably just run 5w30 in it so that you had one oil for both vehicles.

We put over 100k on the used Intrepid and traded it in with 155k trouble free miles on it.

Thanks for the replys. I will rest easier, and in fact, might just run 5w30 from now on. It is just kind of hard when that 5w20 is staring you right in the face on the oil filler cap.

Run the 5w30 with confidence. I maintain 2 ‘05 T&C and have switched to 30's in both to combat the consumption these engines tend to face on 5w20. I read a thread on a Jeep forum that runs the same 3.8 as mine (the big brother to your 3.3) that when switching over to 10w30, it handled the consumption that most were experiencing, as well as quieting down the engine. I think it was mid ‘04 or ‘05 when Chrysler changed the spec to 5w20 without doing anything to the engine other than changing the writing on the oil cap. I'll be dumping some 10w30 in the two I have this summer.

Last edited:
You'll be fine with 5w30. My parents 2004 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 has seen nothing but that for its entire life. It's now over 180,000 miles and still kicking.

I run 0w40 in my 3.8 Grand Caravan and it runs great. I used 0w20 until recent because my oil consumption is terrible and 0w40 really helped a lot. Also I did not notice any difference in fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back