Ubuntu 19.04 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI for the BITOGrs who follow this.

Coworker brow beat me into buying SSDs for my home machine ($74) and it was released the day the drives arrived so naturally I am taking the new release for a spin.

My machine is 2012 vintage i7-3770 with 16Gb memory; getting a little long in the tooth for fat distributions but still a dream for Xubuntu type installs.

Having cried a river when Unity disappeared, I guess I am getting used to Gnome now.

This is not an LTS release so most people can sit tight.

-T

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Just an FYI for the BITOGrs who follow this.

Coworker brow beat me into buying SSDs for my home machine ($74) and it was released the day the drives arrived so naturally I am taking the new release for a spin.

My machine is 2012 vintage i7-3770 with 16Gb memory; getting a little long in the tooth for fat distributions but still a dream for Xubuntu type installs.

Having cried a river when Unity disappeared, I guess I am getting used to Gnome now.

This is not an LTS release so most people can sit tight.

-T

Guess I should have asked you if 19.04 has any meaningful updates that you find interesting or handy?

Not a lot to write home about for this release besides a new set of icons and a new GUI theme atop Gnome-shell. New kernel, new Gnome version, new versions of most applications (most of which are backported to 18.04 LTS anyhow).

The three versions that are released in between LTS versions are for trying out new technologies; which Canonical is doing a LOT less of these days since they've decided to stop trying to reinvent the wheel at every turn. If you're a tinkerer or do not use your machine for work then these versions can be fun; otherwise it's probably best to stick with LTS.

Having said that, I always set up a virtual machine and putz around with non-LTS Ubuntu releases as well a all Fedora and Debian releases.

I used Ubuntu up until I retired 3 years ago. I think I last used v 16.04.

Are you saying they dumped Unity, and reverted to Gnome? Wow.

I have a machine of similar vintage as yours laying around. Maybe I should throw it on there. All I have is a Macbook now, and am pretty happy. Couldn't imagine ever using Windows again.

Guess I should have asked you if 19.04 has any meaningful updates that you find interesting or handy?

I've been away from ubuntu for a few years as I have been using centos7 on the referenced hardware to get up to speed for work related things.

As mentioned, there aren't too many radical changes over the last few years other than dumping unity.

systemd sucks just as bad on any version of ubuntu, and now is sucking on redhat 7.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I used Ubuntu up until I retired 3 years ago. I think I last used v 16.04.

I have a machine of similar vintage as yours laying around. Maybe I should throw it on there. All I have is a Macbook now, and am pretty happy. Couldn't imagine ever using Windows again.

But the spirit of Unity lives on in Ubuntu Mate in Mutiny.

As I understand it, Canonical brought in a business consultant of some sort to help them prepare for an IPO; and it became very apparent that they had a few "reinventing the wheel" technologies that were redundant in the grand scheme of things (Unity, Upstart, for example) and some projects that were dead in the water (read: the phone) so they streamlined their whole development ecosystem and went back to leveraging more upstream stuff (like stock Gnome, systemd; and perhaps one day Flatpak).

This is why I visit Distrowatch at these times to see what else has been released. I tend to stick with Mint but still fun to look/play with live Distros once in a while.

Unfortunately it's Gnome 3. But you can install Ubuntu Mate edition and get a sane user interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back