Is your tool chest/tool area well organized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a garage or work shop area. I have a small tool chest in my basement. My tools are thrown in the drawers but I still need to search to find what I need. It is not always a quick find.

Do you have things set up to easily find and return tools? Peg boards and such?

Would you know easily if a tool was missing?

The drawers are. I'm visual so I have lots of shelves. I don't like cabinets-- can't see the stuff.

It makes sense to me-- one drawer is "new stuff from Harbor Freight I haven't opened yet", but I find what I need just the same.

I got it just the way I like it. I know where every tool is.... within easy reach.

I too abhor garages that use old kitchen cabinets. Not for me. The doors slow me down. All shelves in my garage and basement work bench are open. Easy grab and go.

Small stuff goes in the tool chest.

I have a large box at home and a larger one at work. Both are set up as close to the same as possible. Sockets in the top. Metric wrenches in the next drawer,sae in the one below that etc.

Last edited:
nope, far from it.

wish it were, tried to make it, but always goes back to normal (for me)

have given up, just learned to deal with it

I have the frequently used tools on a pegboard or within easy reach, and the less-frequently used stuff in drawers, etc. Nothing worse than spending more time looking for tools than doing the work!
[Linked Image]

It's all pretty simple. Every time you are done with a tool, AWAYS put it back in the same place! I probably have a thousand tools, so sometimes I have to look a while, only to find out it was right where I put it.

Last edited:
Yep I have a large toolbox that I have had for about 40 years. Everything has its place and stays there after every use. Tools tend to be all over the garage when I am working, but they get cleaned and put back when finished.

Kinda. Sorta. Mostly works but I still end up looking for stuff sometimes.
He who dies wit the most tools wins.

I used my long Snap-On 17/19 mm box end to remove a CVT drain bolt.
What a nice tool!

Originally Posted by RyanY
I have the frequently used tools on a pegboard or within easy reach, and the less-frequently used stuff in drawers, etc. Nothing worse than spending more time looking for tools than doing the work!
[Linked Image]

This is basically how my tools are set up, plus I have a 5-drawer tool box with drawers for allen wrenches, drill bits, pneumatic fittings, miscellaneous, basically things that won't fit cleanly on a peg board.

I'm super anal about putting things back (even if I might use them again soon) because I'm scatterbrained and will lose tools or forget where I put them if I don't. I drive my wife crazy because I'm always griping about her leaving tools out and I always get the "but I'm going to use it again tomorrow".. Everything has a place so I know just where to find it.

My tools and implements are in separate piles and other containers which I have all mapped out in my brain.

Disorganized, messy, haphazard? Sure, to anyone but me. But if you ask me where the 3/8" drill attachments for making holes in wood are, I can tell you they are in the plastic container without a lid on the floor in front the electrical stuff pile and under the Charger trunk interior liner.

So it's organized enough for me, I'll put it that way...

Follow the motto: "A place for everything and everything in it's place" and you won't spend any time looking for a misplaced tool.

I recently spent two mornings re-organizing tools. I bought another 26" 5 draw chest to help get them better sorted and reduce clutter. My next house will have even better custom built shelves in the garage/man cave for my tools.

The tools I use most of the time are in an old Radio Flyer wagon with my heavy 3 ton floor jack due to being stored in a backyard shed. The rest of the tools are less organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back