Food health standards overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching this

https://youtu.be/mkpINSUnDpA

I saw nature videos of predator animals storing carcasses for later consumption. In the ground. Inside a rotting tree. Wherever. They don't wash up before eating either.

If they eat meat that stayed out longer than two hours, how legit is that two hour rule?

I know that elderly people and those with compromised health shouldn't eat meat like this, but for healthy adults how serious is it?

Seriously?

They have a different immune system. Viruses and bacteria that affect humans don't affect animals and vice versa.

Plus do you know how long animals live vs humans? And how animals in captivity can live longer than those in the wild?

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

If we are bathing in anti-bacterial wipes everyday, our immune systems don't have the opportunity to develop.

While I'm not suggesting we bury our food in the back yard, I have to believe sanitizing gel wielding helicopter parents are not helping their kids live long, resilient lives.

Probably the biggest advances where in cooking food long enough to kill pathogens AND washing our hands.

At what point do we reach diminishing returns, or worse, not allowing our immune systems to adapt to the new threats that evolve?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Seriously?

They have a different immune system. Viruses and bacteria that affect humans don't affect animals and vice versa.

Plus do you know how long animals live vs humans? And how animals in captivity can live longer than those in the wild?

In high school I recall a video where a woman had some kind of allergy bc growing up she wasn't allowed to play in the dirt and what not. Later on her immune system would get triggered by something random.

The problem lays with the fact that as children all the stuff we eat, drink & touch has been sanitized and therefore we do not develop the proper bacterial flora in the gut. Suffices to go and look at the lifestyle of primitive societies and see that their food & drink is not as "clean" as ours yet no one of them gets sick because of it.

I've read that kids develop their immunity to allergens by age 2. Basically these kids need to be exposed at an early age, so their bodies can "download" the allergens. So take them to the farm, let them ride a cow, let a dog lick their face, and maybe feed them peanut butter.

I have to somewhat agree with the OP. Look at other cultures. Yogurt originated in India I believe....because of a lack of refrigeration. Not saying food safety is not important but other poor parts of the world seem to get by with less "freak out" mode than we do. I was reading a few weeks back that in 2011 there was a big rule change and the FDA took over food safety. Notice how we have had way more recalls since then? That's why.

If you aren't exposed to things, you get sick all the time.

My dogs were raised on raw chicken wings as pups....they would bury lamb shanks to "soften", then dig them up and eat them...clearly not something that you and I would want to do.

My parent's dog was canned food only, but would seek out my dog's stashes and get violently ill.

All of them were dogs...mine just didn't get sick from eating salmonella laden food, as they had immunity to it.

When I was a kid, when we shot a wild duck or hare, my grandparents would hang them under the house for days and days to make them edible.

Exposure to pathogens does not mean that they will make you ill, provided that your immune system is up to the task.

If we sterilise everything, then you will get sick when exposed...so in a way, food standards beget the requirement for food standards to be tougher...e.g. pasteurising eggs...really ???

As in many things, balance is what is needed.

When I was a kid we didn't have electricity, and when we did get power we didn't have a refrigerator for quite a while. Before we had a refrigerator we were sick many times with diarrhea and vomiting. My parents called it the flu. I think we must have had food poisoning.

Some years ago, while on vacation in Europe I had a breakfast with an under-cooked egg and a dirty fork. I was sick for 8 days and have never quite recovered (which happens to up to 5% of people who have food poisoning). My daughter ate a salad in a third world country and got sick of course. Shortly after that she developed celiac disease (which can be triggered by traveller's diarrhea). And that's not good.

On the other hand there are autoimmune conditions that some think arise from a too clean environment.The theory is that when there are no "bugs" to defend against, the body will find something else, like random parts of itself, to attack - which would not be a good thing either.

So you need to be clean and sanitary, but not get extreme. What is the right balance? That's the real question.

Originally Posted by Shannow
If you aren't exposed to things, you get sick all the time.

My dogs were raised on raw chicken wings as pups....they would bury lamb shanks to "soften", then dig them up and eat them...clearly not something that you and I would want to do.

My parent's dog was canned food only, but would seek out my dog's stashes and get violently ill.

All of them were dogs...mine just didn't get sick from eating salmonella laden food, as they had immunity to it.

When I was a kid, when we shot a wild duck or hare, my grandparents would hang them under the house for days and days to make them edible.

Exposure to pathogens does not mean that they will make you ill, provided that your immune system is up to the task.

If we sterilise everything, then you will get sick when exposed...so in a way, food standards beget the requirement for food standards to be tougher...e.g. pasteurising eggs...really ???

The modern industrial food systems tends to concentrate pathogens which doesn't help the situation.

Originally Posted by billt460
I'm still trying to wrap my head around "Aged Steaks".

Love me some dry aged steak.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by hatt

+1

It's pretty wasteful though. They keep cutting off the exterior and keeping the middle of the beef slab. It's literally letting good meat go to waste.

Originally Posted by BossMoss

+1

It's pretty wasteful though. They keep cutting off the exterior and keeping the middle of the beef slab. It's literally letting good meat go to waste.

Those big primals are covered in fat that's going to be trimmed anyway at some point. They don't lose a lot of meat. The beef loses a lot of water weight.

Originally Posted by BossMoss

+1

Those big primals are covered in fat that's going to be trimmed anyway at some point. They don't lose a lot of meat. The beef loses a lot of water weight.

Fat is flavourful. I love when it's cooked perfectly so that the fat just melts with my mouth's body heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back