2020 Subaru Outback introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/subaru/outback/2020/2020-subaru-outback-first-look-review/

I'm surprised a thread hadn't been started on this yet.

This new Outback is a solid choice especially for Subaru owners who want to upgrade. It should be a good seller.

The big point being brought up is that Subaru is calling this a all new model. It appears to be mostly cosmetic on the outside. Inside some minor changes including the nav screen setup. The turbo engine option will give some added boost to this vehicle.

On a personal note, I wish Subaru would do away with the safari style roof rack. Granted it has its positives with the included crossbars that swing out but the look is very dated. It is a minor point though.

So what do the Subaru faithful say on this?

This is the first Outback to be on Subaru's new Subaru Global Platform (SGP), which is supposed to be a big step up in rigidity, and will underpin every new Subaru eventually.

I'm very interested in the XT, which, like the new Legacy XT, will come with the same FA24DIT as the Ascent. When we're ready to upgrade our '14 FXT some time in the future, I'll be heavily considering a 2022 OBXT, so long as the kinks have been worked out...

Exterior: Like the new Legacy, the update is minor and pretty bland, but that's what Subaru does best.

Interior: Looks to be much improved, but I'm not a fan of the large Infotainment screen. If I pass over this in the future, a large part of it may be due to my annoyance at HVAC controls being integrated into the screen. There are some physical buttons, but they may not suffice. I'll have to wait and see whether they're really practical in person.

I'd be hesitant about the DI turbo until we see if there are intake valve issues. But otherwise the '20 redesign should make an excellent and practical car more so. Hopefully Subaru has improved the seats too.

Last edited:
Looks good. Did I read that correctly in that the new 2.5L engine is 90 percent new parts? I like the changes they made.

Originally Posted by buster
Looks good. Did I read that correctly in that the new 2.5L engine is 90 percent new parts? I like the changes they made.

I saw that as well. I wonder what was changed? In my thinking, a 90% change in parts is pretty much a new engine.

Outback XT sounds very interesting...I still think the published power numbers sound pretty weak for a 2.4l DIT, though. Not a lot stronger than the FA20DIT if the numbers are accurate...
I will have to see how the CVT in my '14 FXT holds up before I buy another one in a "high torque" vehicle, though. I know that some improvements were made in the high torque Lineartronic after my FXT was manufactured, mind had trouble at 80kmiles that was fixed under warranty by I also know that a dealer used the wrong fluid in it at 60k. Truly aggravating to go to a Subaru dealer and have them use the wrong Subaru fluid in a critical component...

seeing that one WRX owner is on his third thats 3 CVT thankfully under warranty i would not buy any CVT!! the reason for low power is to try to protect the questionable CVT. earlier turbo WRX's made poor power down low to protect the less than stout tranny + AWD. anything very new equals you being the beta tester!

Good crimany sakes. I'll just post these pictures again. 2006 Infinity FX45. Looks a 1000 times better than that 2020 Subaru.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Good crimany sakes. I'll just post these pictures again. 2006 Infinity FX45. Looks a 1000 times better than that 2020 Subaru.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The car across the street is prettier to my eyes.

If my wife weren't set on her next vehicle having 7 seats, we'd consider this Outback for sure. Looks really nice and I trust it will be reliable.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Subies rock!
For what they do; I feel like they are the best.

Well..the new Outback is rated to tow 3,5000 pounds. If you put 3,500 pounds behind it...I guarantee you will be in for quite the "unforgettably" experience.

Not a fan of OBs. Interesting that the FA24 only puts out 10 more HP than the FA20 its a bored out 2.0
Should be a beast with that engine.

As mentioned the new global platform should be more rigid.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by das_peikko

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The car across the street is prettier to my eyes.

You're overdue for your eye exam...
33.gif

I always loved the various Outback color choices. Green with Brown mixed in, or Brown with a touch of Green mixed in....
eek.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Better buy a gallon of 303 to keep all of that plastic safe!

I like the overall look, except for all of the plastic on the nose. That, and the seemingly non-functional fog lights.

I'd take the XT for a test drive.

My wife absolutely loved her grown ups WRX, 2005 Legacy GT (turbo) Wagon with 5 speed manual.

Their regular non turbo models have been anemic and stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back