Are SN+ rated conventional oils ecoboost compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some research on the SN+ rated coventional oils, are they being marketed as compatible with GDI engines such as the ford ecoboost engines?

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Did some research on the SN+ rated coventional oils, are they being marketed as compatible with GDI engines such as the ford ecoboost engines?

SN+ was made especially to help avoid LSPI in turbo GDI engines, so yes they are recommended for EB engines.

Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils also have an LSPI test.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Originally Posted by Corollaman

SN+ was made especially to help avoid LSPI in turbo GDI engines, so yes they are recommended for EB engines.

Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils also have an LSPI test.

I noticed the conventional Chevron Supreme 5w30 bottles had the SN plus API rating when I was at Wal-Mart, I have been considering using it.

Ford has an independent spec on top of SN or SN+ as well. For those who care or are concerned not all 5w30 oils that are SN or SN+ meet the Ford spec (or at least aren't on the approved list).

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Ford has an independent spec on top of SN or SN+ as well. For those who care or are concerned not all 5w30 oils that are SN or SN+ meet the Ford spec (or at least aren't on the approved list).

API SN ISLAC GF-5 meets the latest Ford recommendation.

"We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle.If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of ILSAC."

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
API SN ISLAC GF-5 meets the latest Ford recommendation.

"We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle.If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.
People are so hung up on Ford's specs for motor oils and they are nothing more than recommendations, not requirements. Ford states it right there - SN and API certification are the only requirements.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
People are so hung up on Ford's specs for motor oils and they are nothing more than recommendations, not requirements. Ford states it right there - SN and API certification are the only requirements.

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

By using a D1G2/SN+ grade oil (will most likely beat the future GF-6 as well, even without any further reformulations), I am WAY ABOVE the specs of the 945-A "recommended for" my 1.6 EcoBoost.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back