Can M1 EP really do 15K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the poor mans Amsoil for $25 and can do 15K miles. Am I missing something here? Match this with a top tier filter for $11 and you have an OCI that goes double your normal interval for $36 total.

Is the 15K miles a stretch on what is probably a group 3 syn?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Seems like the poor mans Amsoil for $25 and can do 15K miles. Am I missing something here? Match this with a top tier filter for $11 and you have an OCI that goes double your normal interval for $36 total.

Hard to say, since you are keeping silent on what vehicle, engine and driving habits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Hard to say, since you are keeping silent on the vehicle name, engine and driving habits.

I was just asking in general really. I understand that towing, hot climates, city driving, etc, shorten this expectation. But what about your average driver doing equal parts of highway driving and stop and go.

Seems like the poor mans Amsoil...
Oh brother...
happy2.gif

I've been expecting mobil to pull back the 15k thing as more and more engines are DI. I'm only going to do a 4500 mile oci on my mazda, until i get a summer uoa. Winter one was chock full of fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Would not do it on a DI engine, and esp. not on TDI. NO WAY. Maybe 8k w/premium filter
OP never mentioned that either. If it's GDI or TGDI, I limit myself to 5K and I have Mobil-1 EP stocked in my basement. When I use it, it's 5K OCI on my GDI.

Members here can run long lengths with GDIs and TGDIs and roll their dice. But not me. I am 1st & last owner of my vehicles.

Our Mobil representative claims Mobil 1 can easily do 25K, and probably even longer. I didn't see any point arguing. I'm not armed with facts at the ready.

I often hear from professional mechanics saying not to go those really long 15k-20k mile OCI or once a year OCI. And at first, I was under the impression that you could go that long if your owner's manual allowd it with a specific oil. I believe that with a lot of hiwy miles this can be done.

I think it is a stretch.

I can't go 10K on Amsoil or Schaeffer. I'm back to my 5K intervals on all of the vehicles I take care of (or once a year on Church van and Mom's '97 LeSabre).

Maybe I just can't handle the truth....

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Would not do it on a DI engine, and esp. not on TDI. NO WAY. Maybe 8k w/premium filter
I enjoy my TDI engine immensely.

On a Ford 5.4L, I was able to run both M1 AFE and M1 EP for 15-17K miles. The TAN on the EP was 8.9 and flagged by Blackstone and the TAN on the AFE was 5.0--5.3 and not flagged.

Bottom line, I would not blindly run M1 (or any oil) to 15K without a UOA along the way--this would be especially true if the engine is GDI or TGDI.

Interesting reading through this thread seeing opinions change on longer intervals because of direct injection engines, and I couldn't agree more. I think it really is a deal breaker in terms of long intervals. I used to be on board with the longer drains on nice easy running port injection engines, with no forced induction. But with the direct inject I'm not going more than five thousand miles.

As for the Mobil one...yeah I don't think I'd go much past eight thousand.

This direct injection lifestyle, lol, has changed things for me. I no longer spend or search too much for that great oil...I buy what's on sale...usually Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil, Super Tech and just dump it at five K.

We use it in a Honda (V6, no ECM) and a Subaru (non-DI H4) and change it between 12-14K. DI Fuel contamination is not the fault of the oil. So for our non-DI engines,no issues, plenty of life remaining after a UOA. After rebate M1EP jug + M1 filter costs around $20. Exxon-Mobil is a very reputable oil firm with outstanding ChemE's - why wouldn't you trust them? The question you should be asking is, "Why is Amsoil overpriced?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2
We use it in a Honda (V6, no ECM) and a Subaru (non-DI H4) and change it between 12-14K. DI Fuel contamination is not the fault of the oil. So for our non-DI engines,no issues, plenty of life remaining after a UOA. After rebate M1EP jug + M1 filter costs around $20. Exxon-Mobil is a very reputable oil firm with outstanding ChemE's - why wouldn't you trust them? The question you should be asking is, "Why is Amsoil overpriced?"

For the same reason Mobil 1 AP and Valvoline Modern Engine are. $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back