Salad: like them or dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hated salad when I was a kid, would not eat it...however, back then a salad was usually iceberg lettuce with a bunch of tomato quarters. Didn't like tomatoes then and am still not a fan.
Gradually warmed up to salads made with romaine and now generally like any salad that is not the boring old iceberg/tomato combo.
A particular favorite is a chopped salad with lots of romaine and very light on the dressing...a good variety of chopped veggies and just a bit of hard boiled egg and maybe chicken or bacon makes it interesting and very flavorful. Drowning it in dressing makes it heavy and unhealthy, but I can stand a good amount of tomato if it is chopped up good. I think my #1 issue with tomatoes is that squirt when you bite into a whole one or a big piece, YUCK!
Spinach salad is good, but eating one every day would probably get old for me! In restaurants around here, spinach seemed to usually be paired with strawberries and those thing are about on a level with tomatoes for me.

During the week, yes. Spring mix, throw on some cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. I used to put on Thousand Island for a bit of taste but switched to some croutons instead, just needs something more than pure veggies.

I like romaine/spinach together. I too eat a salad daily with lots of groceries on it. I can't eat cucumbers but I'll cut up & eat raw zucchini on the salad instead. Along with tomatoes, carrots, celery, colored bell peppers, garbanzo beans or black beans and often grilled chicken or salmon. I prefer to eat lighter at dinner...and earlier & earlier it seems.
shocked.gif

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I only make my own dressings. Usually EVOO & balsamic &/or red wine, apple cider vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon. A little garlic w/ fresh parsley & basil.

Last edited:
Not often enough lately. Used to but married a Chinese girl and salads are not in their culture (raw veggies are a no-no, probably due to all the hepatitis there, so they cook everying....uggg). I do make tabbouleh salad often. Parsley, mint, cucumber, tomato, olive oil, lemon juice and bulger wheat. Even my wife likes it.

Last edited:
I have the benefit of being a member of a community garden/greenhouse. Get to pick some of each that I like. Cheaper than grocery place

Every day.

Protein shake for breakfast, and a salad after the gym.

Romaine, bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, cabbage, and grilled chicken. Olive oil and a couple shakes of Tabasco.

I love a good salad. As I got into my silver years I've lost my appetite for heavy foods. Add some protein (meat, cheese, egg, or nuts) to the salad and you've got a decent lunch.

Speaking of lunch, I hate sandwiches... too much bread.

Yep. Like to add fried ham or bacon and cukes and onions. Gotta have a little meat...

Originally Posted by Kestas
Speaking of lunch, I hate sandwiches... too much bread.

Ooooooh, I love my bread!
However, we have cut way back on the carbs...FI only........just kidding!

I think of salads are herbicide and pesticide saturated greens. I rarely eat salads.

I'm type 2 diabetic so I have to watch my carb intake. I love salads and eat 4-5 days of the week. I usually just do a simple mix of romaine, baby spinach, cucumber, red onion, shredded parmesan, a grilled chicken breast, and italian dressing. It works pretty well for me.

I also like to make chicken salad with shredded chicken breasts, salt, pepper, olive oil, (no sugar added) relish, parsley, and lite mayo on a bed of romaine. Same with tuna salad.

Outside of that, I'm very much a "steak and eggs" eater. Breakfast this morning was a cut of country ham, 2 slices of bacon, and 2 eggs over-hard.

If you make taco salad with shredded chicken, black beans, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, taco seasoning, a touch of sour cream, and salsa on a bed of lettuce, it's actually not that bad for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back