93 Mazda B3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on a HDEO for this one. Probably 15w-40. This engine is known for inadequate lubrication to the pushrod/rocker arm contact point so I'm going full saps

Add your thoughts and opinions below. Truck has around 160k miles. 3 liter ohv v6

i had a 94 b3000 for years. i never really abused it, but i ran it pretty good..3k most shifts. it was super reliable and i only retired it because of rust. the 3.0 vulcan is a perfect engine for rangers imho, as it still gets a tad bit of fuel economy but has much more oomph compared to the 4 cyl..i always ran 5w30 mobil 1 in, over the course of about 100k that i had it. it also saw plenty of use well above 3k, as that engine really liked to pull the rpm.

is your 93 still a mazda or had they switched to ford built mazdas then?

I've had many 3.0 engines (Ford) and never heard they had an oiling issue. I wouldn't run 15w-40 in that engine. 5w-30 or 10w-30 (where you live).

You living in Fl. I'd go with a 10w30.
Have fun with your pickup
smile.gif

That Mazda has the Ford Vulcan V6 in it. It's a darned good engine. I had the same engine in a ‘91 Ranger. The only problem that you may run into is the timing chain cover. The timing chain cover gasket can deteriorate and cause a coolant leak. 10W30 Valvoline conventional would be my choice.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
There are no lubrication issues on the 3.0L. I'd just use a HM 5/10W-30...

This I don't know where the OP obtained that info.

Pretty sure I read it on Wikipedia and then found a post in ranger station. The prior owner overheated and blew head gasket so I'll be finding out for myself shortly.

Originally Posted by MParr
The only problem that you may run into is the timing chain cover. The timing chain cover gasket can deteriorate and cause a coolant leak. 10W30 Valvoline conventional would be my choice.

Is there a good way to fix the timing cover permanently? Or do you just have to change out the gasket every time it leaks? IMO the reason why this is such a common problem is because there's not much "meat" around the coolant ports so you only have 2-3mm of gasket material holding back the pressurized coolant.

I also have a 3.0 Vulcan in my '06 Ranger. Engine seems solid, it's everything around it that is falling down. I don't really mind the truck being slow, but the MPGs are really bad for the engine's size & power.

I'm also not aware of an oiling issue. On mine, the manual and the oil cap call for 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back