Seeking recommendations for non marring lug nut socket (prefer USA made)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Are we worried about chewing up the rim or the lug nut itself?

I am not a fan of using an impact on lug nuts that I care about.. would much rather take an extra 5 minutes and use a breaker bar.

The sockets posted above will protect the rim. NAPA had their set on sale for $30 a few months ago. Taiwan made IIRC.

Concern is protecting the wheel. I generally break free with a breaker bar and spin off/on with an impact, torque the last 20-30 ft lb with a clicker torque wrench.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Are we worried about chewing up the rim or the lug nut itself?

I am not a fan of using an impact on lug nuts that I care about.. would much rather take an extra 5 minutes and use a breaker bar.

The sockets posted above will protect the rim. NAPA had their set on sale for $30 a few months ago. Taiwan made IIRC.

Concern is protecting the wheel. I generally break free with a breaker bar and spin off/on with an impact, torque the last 20-30 ft lb with a clicker torque wrench.

If that's the case, I see very little need to use an impact socket at all. Or an impact for that matter.

Those hazet sockets you discussed look great. Think I'll buy a set. I did get a good price on a set of reversible 3/8 drive lug sockets from snap on at an auto show a few months ago, but they aren't covered.

I try and avoid Harbor Freight mostly because it's all Chinese. Regardless of quality of the component I prefer not to put money into their military industrial complex to the maximum extent of which I can avoid it. Sometimes this isn't possible, usually it is. For just $20 more than the HF set I bought Hazet made in Germany sockets. It's a matter of principle not buying Chinese goods for me as much as it is about quality, I know they can make good things.

The fact is Harbor Freight is a privately held American company founded here, and headquartered in Calabasas, California. The companies profits remain here. The company also employs over 17,000 people in the U.S. They currently have over 1,000 stores nationwide.

Hazet is a German based and owned company. Their profits remain in Germany, and help support the European Union. They employ few, if any Americans. You are helping to support far more Americans, along with our economy by buying from Harbor Freight, then you are from Hazet.

Originally Posted by billt460
I try and avoid Harbor Freight mostly because it's all Chinese. Regardless of quality of the component I prefer not to put money into their military industrial complex to the maximum extent of which I can avoid it. Sometimes this isn't possible, usually it is. For just $20 more than the HF set I bought Hazet made in Germany sockets. It's a matter of principle not buying Chinese goods for me as much as it is about quality, I know they can make good things.

The fact is Harbor Freight is a privately held American company founded here, and headquartered in Calabasas, California. The companies profits remain here. The company also employs over 17,000 people in the U.S. They currently have over 1,000 stores nationwide.

Hazet is a German based and owned company. Their profits remain in Germany, and help support the European Union. They employ few, if any Americans. You are helping to support far more Americans, along with our economy by buying from Harbor Freight, then you are from Hazet.

Sure HF employs US workers, I never disputed that. Employing US workers isn't the point. Not sending money to China is the point. The parts and tools made in China then sold by a US based company still benefits Chinese production, manufacturing and shipping, bottom line money is still going to China.

If I could've just gone out and bought one at a parts store made in the USA I would have. But they're all Chinese or some other Asian manufacturer. Instead I supported a US seller who sells a German made tool, that's WAY WAY more acceptable to me than supporting a US seller importing Chinese goods and undercutting and outright copying US goods.

My number one priority in my purchases is quality, a close second is not buying Chinese goods, third is buying US made goods. The Hazet sockets checked 2 of the 3.

How many of those employees make over $11 an hour?

If anyone wants to protect the lugnuts, specifically, you can use an aluminum lined 6 pt. socket that has radius'd-out corners for the six points.... so when tightening, the torque bears on the flank of the lug nut... not on the corner.

Now the other two rub points could be the end of the socket, rubbing into the depth of the lug nut pocket, and also, it could rub on the OD surface of the socket.

nylon flatwasher could aid the first problem, and a tape-wrap of the OD surface could mitigate against the second problem (or, check the diametral difference between socket and well - and decide if contact could, in fact, occur at all.

This Ozat socket is available from Airtek Ltd., in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Likely there is also a US supplier.

Airtek - Exclusive Cdn Dealer - Stocks Ozat Aluminum Lined Sockets, normal + deep.JPG

Ozat Alumiunum 21mm Sockets.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

They are an American company employing Americans. There are thousands of jobs in this country that pay at or around $11.00. Would it be better if they didn't exist?

They are an American company employing Americans. There are thousands of jobs in this country that pay at or around $11.00. Would it be better if they didn't exist?

They're better than nothing but let's not act like creating mostly low pay entry level positions is equivalent to skilled manufacturing jobs.

They're better than nothing but let's not act like creating mostly low pay entry level positions is equivalent to skilled manufacturing jobs.

No one said it was. Or was ever meant to. Not every job can pay $65K a year. The problem is people quickly forget that entry level, minimum, or near minimum wage jobs were never meant to live on. So they can't be compared to skilled positions that are meant to support families with health benefits, and educate offspring. Given the choice of working at Wal-Mart, or the fast food industry, I would take Harbor Freight 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.

If someone wants or expects to be paid more, they have to acquire a skill set that goes beyond running a register and stocking shelves.

Hey everyone, quick update. My tools arrived, 3 from Germany and 1 from the US. Ended up buying a set with 17, 19, 21mm and a single 22mm. The Hazet sockets are exceptionally well made, really nice stuff. All 4 made in Germany. The 3 pack was honestly really cheap for what you get, the single 22 mm was a little expensive but rounds out the set for common sizes I work on.

A few pictures of the kit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link to the 3 pc kit-----> HERE

Well done! Finally remembered to look at our set at work yesterday. Napa brand but no COO to be found. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Well done! Finally remembered to look at our set at work yesterday. Napa brand but no COO to be found. Sorry I wasn't much help.

No worries, I'm plenty happy with the Hazet set I bought.

Originally Posted by Trav
Nice! Good price for that quality.

I was really surprised on the price, some US sellers were selling a single 21mm for more than I paid for the set of 3. They actually shipped from Germany DHL and arrived in 3 days.

I don't mind spending money on good tools, in the long term it's always paid off for me. Thanks for the lead Trav!

Originally Posted by Trav
Nice! Good price for that quality.

I was really surprised on the price, some US sellers were selling a single 21mm for more than I paid for the set of 3. They actually shipped from Germany DHL and arrived in 3 days.

I don't mind spending money on good tools, in the long term it's always paid off for me. Thanks for the lead Trav!

You are more than welcome, I know you like and buy high end first world tools, owning them has paid off for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back