oil for 2019 hyundai 2.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*0W30 oil now allowed in 2019 owners manual ?? ... I don't think so .
Originally Posted by blupupher
Hyundai does not specify what type of oil (synthetic or conventional oil) to use.

The owners manual recommends "SAE 5W-20 / API Latest (ILSAC Latest)", but also allows for 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 depending on climate and use.

Have you read your owners manual yet? This information is covered in section 8 (8-7 and 8-9).

I really don't care what you think.
I care about facts, and the facts (ie owners manual) say you can use 0w-30.
Look it up, it is there. Page 8-9, just as I posted before.

Originally Posted by StevieC
... The 2.4L engine isn't particularly hard on oil ...

Not sure what kind of 2.4L op owns and/or what kind of 2.4L you are referring to ...

We have a 2014 Tuscon with 2.4L DI and it has been the hardest (color wise) on oil. The car runs great with about 76K and does not burn any oil but the oil turns black quickly. I have older cars with 200K and 370K and oil color stays very nice (darker Amber) well into 3 or 4K right about when I change the oil. The 2.4L is the only DI out of 4 cars and the only DI that we have ever owned. Out of all my cars (past & present) this car has the worst oil color of all. the oil in my 2016 Tundra (v8 mpfi) stays amber and very clear well past 3K miles ...

Maybe the color means nothing but hopefully I will never have to buy another DI if the technology allows. Give me back the MPFI ... lol

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by StevieC
... The 2.4L engine isn't particularly hard on oil ...

Not sure what kind of 2.4L op owns and/or what kind of 2.4L you are referring to ...

We have a 2014 Tuscon with 2.4L DI and it has been the hardest (color wise) on oil. The car runs great with about 76K and does not burn any oil but the oil turns black quickly. I have older cars with 200K and 370K and oil color stays very nice (darker Amber) well into 3 or 4K right about when I change the oil. The 2.4L is the only DI out of 4 cars and the only DI that we have ever owned. Out of all my cars (past & present) this car has the worst oil color of all. the oil in my 2016 Tundra (v8 mpfi) stays amber and very clear well past 3K miles ...

Maybe the color means nothing but hopefully I will never have to buy another DI if the technology allows. Give me back the MPFI ... lol

You have buildup. Use an oil that controls/lessens buildup... like Platinum, or PUP. Also, change more often..... like 4K, until the dipstick starts showing a clearer color sooner.

Don't use an oil that doesn't mention buildup control on the label, like Supertech.

Last edited:
*The use of 0W30 for the 2019 is new then ... Does it mention 0W20 as well or just the 0W30 now being allowed ?
Hyundai does not specify what type of oil (synthetic or conventional oil) to use.

The owners manual recommends "SAE 5W-20 / API Latest (ILSAC Latest)", but also allows for 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 depending on climate and use.

Have you read your owners manual yet? This information is covered in section 8 (8-7 and 8-9).

Originally Posted by ernied
can anyone tell me if Hyundai recommends conventional or synthic in the 2019 2.4?

I cannot find any recommendation of 0W30 in my 2019 Santa Fe Owners Manual.

If someone here found mention, please tell us the '''specific page''', like 7-18 (hypothetical for instance).

My 2018 which is the exact same engine in the 19 Santa Fe. Specs 5w20, but may use 5w30 under same temp and driving conditions. Our 16 which is still the same engine but with a different VVT system says the same. Never heard of Hyundai specing 0w30. Now they may in the new Theta III coming out, but that remains to be seen.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
can anyone tell me if Hyundai recommends conventional or synthic in the 2019 2.4?

I cannot find any recommendation of 0W30 in my 2019 Santa Fe Owners Manual.

If someone here found mention, please tell us the '''specific page''', like 7-18 (hypothetical for instance).

What kind of oil do you use in your DI? I may have to check for the "buildup control" label from now on. Didn't know there was such a thing.

There is..... states it on all the major oil producer brand names in 5w30 (what I use). But nowhere to be found on Supertech.
You really do get - what you pay for sometimes.

But if folks here think it's just a coincidence and the certs say it meets, then perhaps the certs don't cover buildup / cleanliness control.

I'm not spending another minutes on this here. I've mentioned this / been over this, numerous times here already.

For my DI, I have purchased Mobil-1EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge and Valvoline Advanced..... all syns with D1/G2 & SN Plus. I've begun with Edge.

Originally Posted by Donald

NAPA synthetic is on sale this month for $20 for 5 QT. Only a few dollars more than a well known brand conventional.

Napa full synthetic 5qt jugs are currently on sale for $16.99. I grabbed a few 5w30s a few weeks ago. They even stock 0w20 at that price.

Originally Posted by JTK

NAPA synthetic is on sale this month for $20 for 5 QT. Only a few dollars more than a well known brand conventional.

Napa full synthetic 5qt jugs are currently on sale for $16.99. I grabbed a few 5w30s a few weeks ago. They even stock 0w20 at that price.

I must check the latest NAPA Syn jugs for their wording on keeping buildup to a check.... or lowering buildup. See if it meets Valvoline's wordings.

Somehow, I doubt it will. If it did, then Valvoline would sell for a-lot less, for no more than $1 per jug, is devoted to major advertising.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by JTK

I must check the latest NAPA Syn jugs for their wording on keeping buildup to a check.... or lowering buildup. See if it meets Valvoline's wordings.

Somehow, I doubt it will. If it did, then Valvoline would sell for a-lot less, for no more than $1 per jug, is devoted to major advertising.

33.gif

Triple_Se7en, i don't know what to tell you anymore, regarding the marketing on bottles.

Can you post a pic of this page? I honestly don't believe it states 0w30.

Originally Posted by deven

Can you post a pic of this page? I honestly don't believe it states 0w30.

Tucson user manual.jpg

Originally Posted by Razorsharpe
If this ^^^^ is from a 2019 owners manual, I don't see 0W-30 listed. That said, I would use 0W-30 without hesitation.

But it does say 10w-30 and 5w-20 logic should tell one anything in between is ok.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Razorsharpe
If this ^^^^ is from a 2019 owners manual, I don't see 0W-30 listed. That said, I would use 0W-30 without hesitation.

But it does say 10w-30 and 5w-20 logic should tell one anything in between is ok.

I would agree although it might be easier and cheaper to go with the more common 5w30.

From the Owner's manual above...

"Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage."

If engine damage did occur, who do you think would be picking up the tab?

Originally Posted by turnbowm

"Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage."

In the business they call that a guideline its not a do or your car will die at your cost rule. LOL

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by turnbowm

In the business they call that a guideline its not a do or your car will die at your cost rule. LOL

I'm unwilling to take that chance as long as the car is under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back