Car Ramps for low profile cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestion for drive on ramps that are good for those cars that do not have a lot of clearing space . I am kinda tired of having to jack up two sides to get a level clearance to drain fluids.

I made my own when I first got my new '08 Corvette. Two layers of 2x10 with a 45 degree angle cut on the approach side and I've got nice easy clearance any time I want even for regular cars- this allows oil changes and other basic stuff without jacking. Each height was made approx. 2-2.5' long so the bottom board is about 4.5-5'. Longer would make it more comfortable driving on to the top level but I don't have issues and bigger becomes heavier and more cumbersome to handle.. and transport if you have a mobile application.

Last edited:
What care are you working with?

I was worried about the Giulia and my Rhino Gear 12k lbs ramps but I've got about 1" in clearance luckily. So depending on what car you're referring to, they may be an option for you.

Something like this should work for you Vette but they aren't cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WSZH9G/ref=psdc_15737861_t1_B003ZAGI9E

Race ramps.jpg

Last edited:
Race Ramps are the way to go. Will hold 1500 lbs each and are light as a feather. Been using them for 5 or 6 years now and would not use anything else.

Race Ramps are the best, and super lite.. Like trying to pull up smoothly and safely, with a clutch. They can pay for themselves after you drive off the end of some homemade too heavy to move ones.

Last edited:
Already mentioned and I agree, Race Ramps are what I use. I used to have a 2011 Shelby GT500 (quite low clearance) and they were perfect for that car. I got them from Costco online, that was the best deal.

I have a pair of steel ramps with ramp extensions. Works for my BMW which has M Sport ground effects (which means it's pretty low).

It gets the car going up long before it reaches the ramp itself, then the middle of the ramp becomes a kind of second step.

Originally Posted by mctmatt
Any suggestion for drive on ramps that are good for those cars that do not have a lot of clearing space . I am kinda tired of having to jack up two sides to get a level clearance to drain fluids.

Seeing that you have jack stands I'm going to guess you enjoy working on your car. Have you looked at investing in a QuickJack?

Thanks guys for the suggestion will be looking at the Race Ramps for sure. I have three vehicles that I do mostly oil and other fluid changes and some minor brake work and other things. The one I hate is the Mazda 3 of the significant other as you have to jack up on the side and I do both sides to get it level .

Originally Posted by mctmatt
Thanks guys for the suggestion will be looking at the Race Ramps for sure. I have three vehicles that I do mostly oil and other fluid changes and some minor brake work and other things. The one I hate is the Mazda 3 of the significant other as you have to jack up on the side and I do both sides to get it level .

Consider the two-piece Race Ramps. It's nice to be able to remove the ramp section for access underneath from the sides of the car.

if you just use ramps under the front wheels then isn't your car terribly unlevel? I made four ramps for my Mazda so it would be level when it drained.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
if you just use ramps under the front wheels then isn't your car terribly unlevel? I made four ramps for my Mazda so it would be level when it drained.

Driving up 4 ramps at once? It can be difficult with 2. If I want a car level, I just put the front on ramps, then use 1 or 2 jacks and stands to elevate the rear.

The extra long Race ramps with removable extensions can't be beat, hands down. Sometimes $'s get in the way, but the right tool is priceless. Plus you can always sell it, if you don't wreck it.

Last edited:
I have the attached wooden ramps, made principally out of 2 x 4's on-edge and 4 X 4's (two are shown in the photo - but I have a total of 4 of them).

I want to be able to get the car sitting on a set of four of these... but as I have a 6MT, I do not want to be hard on the clutch, in trying to climb all four at once. Only want to climb two at a time. Further, as the car is low - you can see that the portion of the car in front of the front wheels... would foul the ramps (as do the rocker panels)... hence the dunnage I have used to first stage the front wheels... higher.

The second graphic I attach shows what I am planning to make using 3/4" plywood. I am also planning to make an extension to the taller wooden ramps...

It is all calculated to save my clutch and my rocker panels. To be sure, it is not ideal... and it takes a long linear distance - but it is relatively cheap, uses what I already have... and it is my solution

057.jpg

Ramp Assist and Ramp-Lengthening Arrangement - Mazda6.jpg

Last edited:

LOL your right and I guess I should say to make it where it is leaning more to one side.

if you just use ramps under the front wheels then isn't your car terribly unlevel?

My driveway slopes down to the street. When I park my car on it, it isn't level. So I put my car onto the ramps heading down the driveway. It still isn't level but it's not too bad.

The street isn't level (from side to side, or front to back) either, so I make do with what I have.

Originally Posted by Traction

Driving up 4 ramps at once? It can be difficult with 2. If I want a car level, I just put the front on ramps, then use 1 or 2 jacks and stands to elevate the rear.

I have been going up on 4 Pine-O-Ramps for years … but in 4WD. That's mainly to do driveline or something else besides an oil change. As someone mentioned … you cut the first 2x10 long so the tire raises the vehicle and pins the ramp … then even stair step after that …

I only need a little bit of extra room to change the oil in my Mazda6 so I made four of these. As long as I give myself a foot or so of running start I can drive up on all four at the same time without smoking the clutch. I learned this by trial and error.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back