Anyone washes car in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just take it to a professional detailer. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll get a great job and your car will look amazing. Local car wash charges $15 for a hand wash on a car, $20 for trucks/suvs/vans and add $10 for interior cleaning.

Got to love all the comments. Other than one or two, none gave a solid reason (other than someone mentioning mud and rain stuff, never happened in NYC as long as I have lived). I get it, the rain needs to be good and since I can not predict the rain, it will be a challenge. Lucky all of you folks to live in houses and can do anything and everything. We NYC folks are not that lucky.

That said, my '15 vehicle is ceramic coated twice since, once new and once last year so that is good. The guy mentioned that the coating lasts 4-5 years. I have no way of figuring out if thats true but I personally do not see much difference in the paint. I do take it to the carwash for $27/pop at least once a month, more in winter to get rid of salt than in summer. No coin washes around where I live. '06 paint is scratched so that is my experiment vehicle.

I do have a pump sprayer that I use occasionally but I try to avoid doing much of it because I am trying to learn in and outs of detailing and its feasibility in my case.

I would do a waterless wash, they work awesome. It's my preferred wash if it's not too dirty (like with heavy salt or heavy mud).
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NRWW2012Q-Rinse-Wash-Wax/dp/B00GG9FB8U/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=177597836376&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1028036&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7800486732035621327&hvtargid=aud-647846986441%3Akwd-53943995936&keywords=optimum+no+rinse+wash+and+wax&qid=1555587260&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Get two buckets and put grit guards in each. These help trap the dirt at the bottom of the bucket.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...;qid=1555587295&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Get a few microfiber towels for washing (an old rag will do for the wheels)
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Supreme-Shine-Microfiber-Towels/dp/B0009IQZH0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=16OAG4QAKDHZF&keywords=microfiber+towels+for+cars&qid=1555587369&s=gateway&sprefix=microfi%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-5

Then these waffle ones for drying.
https://www.amazon.com/RAG-COMPANY-Professional-Microfiber-Waffle-Weave/dp/B01ERU0F3A/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26ECOD0D18BIK&keywords=waffle+weave+drying+towel&qid=1555587418&s=gateway&sprefix=waffle+wea%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-5

It'll take you 15-20 mins tops. Just fill one bucket with water, one with soap and water. Go out to a dry and dirty car, dip a towel in the soap, do a panel then dip in the water and ring it out, back to the soap and repeat. If it's super sunny I'd dry as you go, otherwise you can do the whole car before drying.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Got to love all the comments. Other than one or two, none gave a solid reason (other than someone mentioning mud and rain stuff, never happened in NYC as long as I have lived). I get it, the rain needs to be good and since I can not predict the rain, it will be a challenge. Lucky all of you folks to live in houses and can do anything and everything. We NYC folks are not that lucky.

We moved into an old restored late 1800's farmhouse way out in the sticks last summer. Our water is trucked-in from a local water service who fills the cistern every 2-3 weeks. We have no outside water other than a big rain barrel that collects water from the gutters that we use to water the outside plants and flower gardens using pump sprayers.

I wash in the rain all the time. Actually, its about the only time. I usually splash water and rub my hand over the bottom areas of the car to get any caked on dirt off first, then I wet the sponge and wipe the car down from top to bottom, occasionally rinsing the sponge in a bucket of water from the rain barrel. I sometimes use soapy water in the bucket but not too often.

The areas the rain isnt directly hitting I splash with water from the bucket or use the pump sprayer, then I sit back and let mother nature do the final rinsing. I was initially concerned about scratches from not having a hose there constantly rinsing but honestly the cars look great. I've scratched my cars more at those dang coin wash places with the sprayer and their pebble and dirt hoarding wand brushes more than I care to admit and the only time I use those is in the winter to get salt off when it gets warm enough to do it and I dont even like doing it then.

If washing in the rain is the best option you have for where you live, just do it. Who cares what other people think, especially a bunch of keyboard tough guys on car forums. My wife thought I was nutty the first time she saw me doing this out in the rain but she's warmed up to it and she likes having the cars clean. Its totally free and I have never seen water spots doing it this way. When I washed when we live in the suburbs the city water would spot like crazy. Dont have to deal with that issue anymore either.

I used to wash my first car, a 1973 Civic, in the rain when I was in university. Didn't have a dime to my name to go to the car wash and the residence didn't have any taps outside.

When I lived in FL. I sometimes got a wild hair and washed my truck in the rain. I figured, well, it is FREE water......
21.gif

Honestly OP, I would just get some waterless wash. It would be a cheaper alternative and a little easier on you than doing it in the rain! And you can do it whenever you want.

Done it in the rain but moved into the garage after wash to dry. I've done it at around 32 degree F as well. Water started to freeze on driveway, slipping and sliding..........Neighbors probably having fun video taping and laughing. Afterward, I salted the driveway and good to go.

You don't need a hose and you don't need the rain to wash your car. Just a bucket of water, wash mitt and towels. Go over half or a quarter panel with the wet mitt to clean, then dry with the towels. Avoid full sun but if you do smaller sections and can dry it quickly, that's not a problem. Obviously you don't do this on something you took mudding, but 90% of the time it works great.

I ONLY do this when there is a TON of pollen/other contaminants on the car before the rain, and it is going to be sunny/warm either later in the day, or early the next day before I could get to it.

I HATE HATE HATE water spot/pollen etching!!
mad.gif

I don't see what's so crazy or bad about it. Have had quite a few friends who have done it and when you think of it it's a pretty easy wash outside having to dry yourself off. How is it any worse than washing your car with tap water......well barring the chance of the rain stopping immediately and the sun coming out? Just watch the forecast and make sure there is a good period of rain to wash and have a good rinse and it's perfect!

It's interesting in a world where there is so much discussion about pollutants & contaminants in our air, as well as insects, tree residue, and other stuff that mandates clay-barring a vehicle to get it properly clean...using the rain to wash a car seems literally bizarre.

While doing this in an emergency where no alternatives are available might be a one-time solution...doing it as a regular practices would seem to make any vehicle's clearcoat/paint finish worse off that properly cleaning it with a proper washing product.

Anyone who has done a quality detailing job (just spent 4 hours on our SUV this past weekend - wash, clay bar, polish, glaze, sealant wax, UV wax) knows that all sorts of "stuff" is mixed in with rain to contaminate a vehicles exterior surfaces. There's a reason why the professionals clay bar after a wash even before applying any other "wax" or "sealant" product. It's to get the gunk off the surfaces.

To validate this...you can simply wash any vehicle in any manner chosen, and when dry - rub your fingers on the painted surfaces. If it is totally smooth (without any "bumpiness")...you're in good shape. It's hard to fathom how washing with rain water could ever render that result though.

On the rare occasions in Texas when we JUST have rain, without the accompanying 50mph wind and lightening, I've been known to do this. Then wait for the rain to stop, hit it with the leaf blower, and dry it off like usual. I don't do it often, as I can't rinse the wheel wells out without dragging out the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back