new tire 4 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday, the wife had another flat due to a screw and according to Tire Kingdom it was not repairable. I was on the other side of town and was not able to be a part of the process. Since two new tires went on a month ago I told her to just get two more so there is a matched set. Last night after washing the car I decided to look at the manufacture date on both that were just installed Sunday. The passenger side was 0518 but the drivers side was 0515. Seems like they dident have enough in stock and may have grabbed a display tire from the lobby or something. Just wondering what your thoughts are on such an old new tire, should I go back and discuss the dates and ask for a tire thats not over four years old?

I would. If Tire Kingdom operates like Discount Tire, they will not service a tire that's over 5 years old. If that's the case, it's unacceptable for them to put a 4 year old tire on the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be headed back there in a heat beat and ask for a newer tire, be nice about it but tell them I paid for a new tire and not a four year old tire.

Last edited:
I refuse tires over 6 months old and tell them that before they're installed, I'd certainly request (demand) a newer tire. No idea how tires age in Florida, I replace them at 6 years here. Tires aren't inexpensive but less that a blow out at speed. In my home state of Pa nobody paid attention to tire age.

35.gif

What did the tire store do with your otherwise good tire that you had'em replace anyway?
They didn't keep it on you did they?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
What did the tire store do with your otherwise good tire that you had'em replace anyway?
They didn't keep it on you did they?

I always keep all the old tires whenever I purchase new tires. The only reason I told her to "get two new ones" is because about a month ago she had two screws in two tires and had two put on while I was at work. She called at the tire store and said one of the old tires had a screw and I said just go ahead and put two more on.

I would be very concerned. Because soon you will be running up against mfg recommended tire replacement dates of 5-6 yrs. Some dealers won't touch a tire from 6-10 yrs old. So regardless if the tire has Never been mounted before....you have a 4 yr old tire with effectively 66% of it's tire mfg recommended lifetime now gone. Get them to replace it.

That tire should have been sold as used, blemished, etc. A tire ages while just sitting. An no one can accurately predict how this particular tire effectively aged. It's really 4 yrs old. That's why they stamp the date into them.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
I would be very concerned. Because soon you will be running up against mfg recommended tire replacement dates of 5-6 yrs. Some dealers won't touch a tire from 6-10 yrs old.

The receipt will show the date the tires were installed so if there is a warranty concern down the road, that should cover you.

I can't find the reference now, but if my memory serves a tire cannot be sold as NEW after 24 months from date of manufacture. Believe source was RMA. Tire rack deeply discounts tires prior to this age as well.

I would be going back for one of newer manufacture as well.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I can't find the reference now, but if my memory serves a tire cannot be sold as NEW after 24 months from date of manufacture...….

I don't think that is true - and the reason I don't is that the company I worked for had a policy of not disposing of tires until they were approaching 3 years old - and they had data that indicated there was no discernable difference between freshly made and 3 year old tires. I can't imagine RMA (now called the USTMA) would ignore that bit of data - yes, the tire manufacturer I worked for was a member and would have been involved in those discussions.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I would drive the car and forget it. The sky is NOT falling.

thumbsup2.gif

Per our own tire-guru ^^^ CapriRacer, for the oils and compounds in tire to work, you DO need to drive the vehicle.

I plan on sending GY an email tonight asking them about this situation. I curious to what they say about it.

At Walland if a tire gets 2 years old + or is in limited supply they cut prices to $50 then $25 a tire

I wouldn't worry about an old tire if you drive a lot of miles but they better give a very steep discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back