Hyundai/Kia Reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
LOL.
I invested so far more in my Toyota Sienna than BMW X5 I had. But, those cars are not for everyone.

So far you bought new brakes, tires and ATF and haven't mentioned any repairs. Those are all maintenance items.

Originally Posted by edyvw
So edyvw what rotors use on your cars ?

Tiguan: Brembo/EBC Redstuff pads.
Sienna: EBC/Greenstuff pads (Brembo unfortunately does not make rotors for Sienna). Though, making rotor of better quality than Toyota OE is hardly achievement.
I have already mentioned this.

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (7 passenger)

Just Polished it. Just shy of 23,000 miles and has been great thus far....

20190418_153530.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by willbur

I've got a superb handling car and fast (Porsche) and it gives me less problems with repairs than any of the 23 cars I have owned previously. Don't do more work on it than my other cars except wash and wax. If you look closely, you may find it ranks #2 on reliability rankings. Look how far down the Hyundai's/Kias are on those lists

Depends on the list you look at,
Consumer Reports 2018 list has Kia # 5, Hyundai # 10, Porsche is # 11.
Their 2017 list has Kia at # 3, Hyundai at # 10, Porsche is # 13

2018 JD Powers, Porsche is #2, Kia is # 5, Hyundai is #7.

Yup, really far down on the list there for sure.

For the 3x the price, I would hope a Porsche is more reliable than a Hyundai/Kia

Originally Posted by blupupher

I've got a superb handling car and fast (Porsche) and it gives me less problems with repairs than any of the 23 cars I have owned previously. Don't do more work on it than my other cars except wash and wax. If you look closely, you may find it ranks #2 on reliability rankings. Look how far down the Hyundai's/Kias are on those lists

For the 3x the price, I would hope a Porsche is more reliable than a Hyundai/Kia

Hard to believe all of these have Kia ranked ahead of Hyundai, you'd think it would be the other way around...

Originally Posted by grampi

Hard to believe all of these have Kia ranked ahead of Hyundai, you'd think it would be the other way around...

Why? Hyundai owns a nice sized chunk of Kia, as well as sharing platforms and drivetrains. They should be right next to each other.

Last edited:
Kia is usually more reliable then the higher end hyundai. While hyundai gets the platform first and works out the bugs, kia gets the platforms second.

Thank you-
my original comment related to the rather poor driving dynamics of the almost new Hyundai rental cars I have driven- they drive like a boat, in my opinion. A poster bought up the comparison of economical Hyundai owners going about their business while the good handling cars sat in a shop being repaired. Somehow a connection was made between good/superb handling and poor reliability. I compared my 11 year old Honda (cost equivalent to Hyundai) handling being superior to those new rentals I drove and it definitely does not spend its life in a shop. Actually in 100K miles it never has even once. The Porsche comment was thrown in that great handling does not necessarily go with poor reliability although the Honda is a much better comparison. I prefer the Powers survey because it samples a much larger universe and statistical efficiency/power increases with sample size. CR reliability incorporates such important parameters like a misaligned chrome strip

I was under the impression that JD powers surveys include stuff like owners having trouble with Bluetooth sync, complicated touch screens etc..or is that just the "initial quality" survey?

I believe the comment about bad handling reliable cars vs cars in the shop all the time was likely directed towards BMW or similar. Most of us know how unreliable they can be.

Originally Posted by CKN

You MUST name the brand-specifics of your Polish.

BTW.... I have been using Nu-Finish for many decades. Years ago there was another Polish I loved called Finish 2001, by Turtle Wax. I do not see it anymore, unless one wants to pay and arm & leg for it, at places like FleaBay.

-----------------------

EDIT
How come when I quote a comment with pic, I don't get the picture / link of that car also, inside my quote?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by CKN

You MUST name the brand-specifics of your Polish.

BTW.... I have been using Nu-Finish for many decades. Years ago there was another Polish I loved called Finish 2001, by Turtle Wax. I do not see it anymore, unless one wants to pay and arm & leg for it, at places like FleaBay.

-----------------------

EDIT
How come when I quote a comment with pic, I don't get the picture / link of that car also, inside my quote?

Before this current detailing-it was NuFinish. This time around it was Mothers Carnauba Cleaner/ Wax (The stuff in the green bottle).

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Why? Hyundai owns a nice sized chunk of Kia, as well as sharing platforms and drivetrains. They should be right next to each other.

Typically Kia is thought of as a lower end Hyundai brand, that's why...comparable to Lexus being rated lower than Toyota...

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Your signature is fake. There is NO WAY in [censored] that a 2007 KIA is still on the road. No way.......
Haters gotta hate.

Lexus is a lower brand of Toyota?
hahahahaha......

You apparently didn't get the comparison. I meant ranking Kia as being more reliable than Hyundai would be like ranking Toyota higher in reliability than Lexus...I didn't say Lexus was a lower brand than Toyota, obviously it's not...

Last edited:
I believe a couple of the kia models (like the Sorento) didn't get GDI until a couple years later than equivalent Hyundai models. That and I've noticed a lot more of the Sorento seem to be the V6 model compared to santa Fe are mostly 2.0t and 2.4 (the problem engines). That and there are more sonatas on the road than kia optima. I could be way off but driving around that's my perception and it would significantly lower the amount of Kia models that have the bad engines.

hahahahaha......

You apparently didn't get the comparison. I meant ranking Kia as being more reliable than Hyundai would be like ranking Toyota higher in reliability than Lexus...I didn't say Lexus was a lower brand than Toyota, obviously it's not...

You apparently should have worded that post better and compared the brands better. Lexus and Toyota don't belong in the same two sentence phrase with Hyundai & Kia. That's like comparing sirloin to filet mignon..

Last edited:
hahahahaha......

You apparently should have worded that post better and compared the brands better. Lexus and Toyota don't belong in the same two sentence phrase with Hyundai & Kia. That's like comparing sirloin to filet mignon..

I assume you mean Hyundai/ Kia are the sirloin?

hahahahaha......

I assume you mean Hyundai/ Kia are the sirloin?

Hyundai/kia is a vegan hotdog substitute

Zuzu Quote
Hyundai/kia is a vegan hotdog substitute

--------------------------------------

Page 8-8 of my Hyundai owners manual says it's an organic, vegan hotdog, best-served with an Organic Vegan Sweet Vanilla Bean Nutrition Shake.
Bring a roll of toilet paper and driver-side seat cover, with you to the dealer. A spare pair of pants is optional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back