second Betta won’t eat bloodworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't going to buy another fish, but this Betta was so huge I had to buy it.

But how do I get it to eat the bloodworms? It eats the pellets. I drop a couple on the water, and it comes up to eat them. Won't touch the bloodworms.

I think I'm going to put it in the small container it came in. With nothing else in there except a bloodworm. It should eventually try to eat it in desperation?

Some fish can be sticklers, preferring one type of food over another and will refuse to touch it.

What type of blood worms? Frozen, live, or freeze dried? If freeze dried you could try soaking them in some water for a little bit before putting them in the tank.

Maybe the Betta wasn't raised on Blood worms. We have a cat that will nor eat cat food it prefers dog food.My daughter had a horse that wouldn't eat Alfalfa.

If he's not eating bloodworms but is eating pellets, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd consider buying a ghost shrimp (about $0.57 at PetSmart) and putting it in there (if the aquarium is built for a shrimp) I've done this with my Bettas and they love it. They'll usually let the shrimp stick around for a week or two, which means I get some nice rock cleaning, and then they'll "disappear" once the Betta decides he's ready for a snack. Lucifer, Gill and now Drogo enjoy the occasional shrimp. Worst case scenario is you've gained a permanent bottom cleaner.

If you dont eat them then how can you expect your fish to? I never force my fish or dog to eat anything they dont like.
By the way are these frozen bloodworms or freeze dried?

Like said, all fish are different. The betta you got has likely never been offered blood worms (mosquito larvae) before. This is the natural food for bettas in the wild, but for captive bred? Who knows what they've been fed.

A quality pellet food will provide a more balanced nutrition for the fish anyway and should be the staple food for them. Key being a quality pellet. There's lots of garbage out there.

Fish food is like people food in that you have to read the labels. Tetra and a lot of others will have horrible ingredient lists. If the first 3 ingredients are grains and fillers, avoid that food. Omega One and some others available on the shelves at pet stores have good ingredient lists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back