Acura/Honda Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by artbuc
O
Originally Posted by Trav
It is not rings getting clogged, its a problem with the low tension rings they used. Engines with VCM seem to be the most effected.

Just re-read the letter. Warranty is extended to 8yrs/125000 miles if you report by Sept 1. Honda says problem is caused by oil control ring becoming clogged with carbon deposits. Very few affected engines have VCM.

I am posting about the current issue with the 3.7L Acura engines. I am not talking about the Honda class action lawsuit which was settled in 2013. Most of those affected Honda engines did have VCM. I assume, but do not know if, both oil consumption issues have the same root cause.

I suspect the oil ring clogging is due to ring design like on the earlier Honda engines. The older engines even those with VCM 1 didn't have any real issues with the bottom end. I cant say for sure but I am guessing they don't want another suit on their hands so they are spinning this a little different. JMHO.

Originally Posted by gogozy
Originally Posted by jhs914
What years does this oil consumption problem affect? My wife has had a 2016 Acura RDX 3.7 since new and it now has over 50,000 miles. It doesn't use a drop of Castrol Edge 0W-20 between changes that average 8,000 miles per the oil life monitor.

RDX has 3.5L (J35)
Honda dropped J37 probably so many report of oil consumption on it.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I can rest easy.

I still think I'd try the Valvoline Restore before anything if I were in those shoes. At least its an approved oil as opposed to an additive that may or may not do something you don't want.

Kinda why I still roll with the older J-Series cars, even though one of mine is getting pretty well on in its life. Still doesn't leak and doesn't burn more than 3/4 qt over the 7500 mile OCI.

Last edited:
I have a 4cylinder 2011 Acura TSX wagon and I've used Mobil 1 0w20 since I took delivery and changed it in accordance with the maintenance minder. It started consuming a quart per 5,000 miles starting in 2016 and that increased to a quart every 2,500 miles by 2017. Acura extended the powertrain warranty because of this problem which they attribute to combustion deposits and recommended only using top tier gasoline and of course 91 octane due to the higher compression ratio. My consumption was not enough for them to take any action and I've read that a number of newer engines with low tension piston rings are prone to this problem. I stopped getting gas from Wawa and the Giant supermarket and started adding Techron two or three times per year. This has resulted in a reduction in consumption down to about a quart per 6,000 miles. With any luck, this trend will continue and I will not need to add oil between changes any more. Just changed the spark plugs @ 91,000 miles and they looked clean. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back