Uber/Lyft Destroyed The Taxi Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Willclark
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
[

There are always going to be the ones who can profit from any industry, and those who don't. But rideshare is not a binding commitment. At any time out of the 24 hours a day, a driver can just choose to go do something else.

What about the poor folks who get sucked in and lease a vehicle from Uber at ridiculous prices? I would say that is a binding commitment. What about how Uber doesn't tell you the whole insurance policy when you sign up to drive? I really wish an Uber driver would comment here so I could ask him/her a few more questions.

Stop acting like taxi companies didn't have similar abusive programs.

It's very simple: If you don't like the deal, don't take it. Nobody is forced into anything.
Originally Posted by Willclark
Originally Posted by PimTac
[The same could be said of those who invested a large sum of money to get the taxi medallions.

The medallions were passed down from generation to generation. They were like family heirlooms. And every legit taxi in Chicago required a medallion on the hood of the car. They were numbered and inspected yearly by the Department of Business Affairs. Of course, many of them came from hard working minority immigrants. I really believe the only reason Uber/Lyft took off was the cheaper cost per ride. Just a question, but how well do you tip you're server if you go out to eat?

You really believe that because you are either really naive or really ignorant about how poor taxi service was to the consumer.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Top 3 reasons I and NO ONE cares Taxi business is dying:

1. Late arrivals. Call dispatch and wait 30-45 min PAST promised time of arrival. NO THANKS !!

2. RUDE, Arrogant, Smelly drivers who speak Horrible or NO english AT ALL

3. Monopoly on fares. Someone gotta "pay" for that lease and medallion right ??

Out of maybe 50 or so uber rides I have done nationwide, Only 1 in NW Chicago suburbs (go figure) was bad (Rude driver)...... Dave

These 2 posts sum it all up quite well.

Originally Posted by Shannow
demarcation ? You missed that bit...

For a guy who by his own admission, only has around 10 years to go to try and scrape together some type of retirement, I would be a bit more focused on my own financial affairs. Instead of worrying about how someone else managed to do, what is looking to be increasingly bleak for you to pull off.

Originally Posted by billt460
demarcation ? You missed that bit...

For a guy who by his own admission, only has around 10 years to go to try and scrape together some type of retirement, I would be a bit more focused on my own financial affairs. Instead of worrying about how someone else managed to do, what is looking to be increasingly bleak for you to pull off.

No, my questions were in relation to your statements about which behaviours deserved to die off.

Behaviours that you and your ilk took FULL advantage of, before pulling up the rope ladder, and wanting the generations that followed to fend for themselves to make your retirement cheaper...

So...demarcation is a touchy point is it ???

First (and many times before), you have ignored it when asked...now the personal attack/diversion.

The Taxi Industry killed the taxi industry.

My last ride in a cab to Norfolk Airport: an hour wait, for a clapped out, tired, vaguely ill-smelling Crown Vic with vinyl seats that rode like it had no bushings left. $35 with tip.

My last Uber to Norfolk Airport: a 10 minute wait, for a brand new Honda Accord, and a pleasant driver. $15 with tip.

There is no comparison.

.....Behaviours that you and your ilk took FULL advantage of, before pulling up the rope ladder, and wanting the generations that followed to fend for themselves to make your retirement cheaper...

So enlighten me, what exact behavior have, "me and my ilk taken FULL advantage of"?

demarcation ???

I missed all this...

What is demarcation?

And shy are you arguing about it in a thread on taxis?

Go back to the original post of mine that you replied to...while responding to only the part that you wanted to.

demarcation...

Originally Posted by Astro14
demarcation ???

I missed all this...

What is demarcation?

And shy are you arguing about it in a thread on taxis?

As to why ????

It was a response to billt460's statement regarding certain historical practices that needed to die...it's in the thread...and I'm 100% positive that Billt460 gained advantage from it.

You or I stepping up to a lathe 20 or 30 years ago...or even today would end up with a stoppage...

Bill knows the word...has just avoided it extensively...

Originally Posted by Astro14
I missed all this... What is demarcation? And shy are you arguing about it in a thread on taxis?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Along with the, "rope ladder I pulled up", that, "made my retirement cheaper"???

Originally Posted by billt460
A taxi medallion worth $1 million, is about as justifiable as a union auto worker getting paid $38.00 @ hour to play pool. One is already extinct. The other soon will be. Neither will be missed.

When you were an aerospace machinist, what was your working arrangement regarding demarcation and remuneration ?

I've been interested in a long while on that one...

edit...and the retirement income...that's ALL self made contributions right ???

Bump.....if you need the Merriam Webster definition...you know the link...you use it...

if you need the Merriam Webster definition...you know the link...you use it...

And if you have a question.... Then make sense and ask it. Don't try to play word games. It's not going very well for you. You already have 2 people who don't have a clue as to what your talking about. I'm not sure you do.

OK...then how was demarcation and remuneration policy in the aerospace machining workshop ?

a) was there demarcation ?
b) did that affect remuneration of the various parties ?

Could Astro have come down to the lathe and spun something without you and your pals walking out the gate ?

You grasped the fully self funded retirement (which I find questionable given your age)...but can't grasp demarcation ???

I'm struggling here...

Could easily be answered by...

there was no demarcation in the aerospace scrap can filling...anyone could step up to the machine and fill the scrap cans as they felt, and all would have been paid the piece rate.

but taxi drivers...with their price of entry...deserve to rot...

You grasped the fully self funded retirement (which I find questionable given your age).

Just exactly what is it you find so, "questionable"? And how much bandwidth are you going to waste with all of this nonsense before you start making any sense?
Could Astro have come down to the lathe and spun something without you and your pals walking out the gate ?

What are you asking? Make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back