Thump/slap after rear pinion seal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my Liberty in for Monday to get the rear pinion seal replaced since it was leaking (194k!) and got it back, no issues. Drove about 200 miles since then. Today it started making this noise that sounded like a spoon or something got caught in a rear tire, after about 10 miles it got super loud. I noticed when I let off the guess is when the sound happened, on the gas it was quiet so figure it's rear diff related. (nothing in the tires obviously). I dropped it back off at the shop tonight so he can look at it tomorrow. Any ideas on what it could be? The driveshaft felt normal going into the diff and I didn't see anything obviously wrong.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Today it started making this noise that sounded like a spoon or something got caught in a rear tire
You're probably OK until it sounds like a fork is stuck in the tire.

I'd say it went from spoon to spork to fork to butcher knife stuck in the tire!
Seriously, it's very rotational, which lead me to think it was something in the tire. But the whole on gas/off gas thing rules that out and it was from the rear.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Sounds like the pinion nut backed off.

That's my guess too. I had a 1974 C-10 and it showed your same symptoms when the nut worked its way loose.

I don't know how this diff is set up but the pinion depth may need to be checked/set. It needs a thorough inspection anyway so I would probably use someone else to do the job.

I hope you got the same shop to replace it under warranty. That's a sorta important small thing.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back