lower scoring/rated vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought that can apply to any vehicle segment.

I was thinking about today's vehicles in all segments and mfg's are building some really great vehicles. I can only say that with the exception of certain segments or a particular vehicle, they're all quite nice.

I have purchased the higher rated vehicles in most segments(during their time) such as the Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla Mazda 3, Lexus RX and on & on, and have been less happy with many. And am always driving friends & family vehicles(cars& SUVs).

I have also purchased(after test driving most), the lower/lowest rated vehicles(e.g., Nissan) in a segment and have been just as happy or even happier with my purchase even after 10-12 yrs of ownership. I think it goes without saying that, when vehicles this good rate lower in their segment, it just goes to show us how good the rest of the vehicles in that field are.

For example, if the very good Camry or Altima (pre 2018/2019) rate near the bottom of their category in comparison testing of 8-10 other cars in that segment, then the top car must be awesome! Or it just comes down to small details that separate them, which is what I find in most segments. It's about the small stuff.

Even the very good Malibu in it's segment or the Rogue in it's segment(just as examples) don't seem to be scoring/rating as high as other vehicle in their category, and they're really wonderful vehicles. Years ago, vehicles were separated by, GOOD vs BAD. Then it changed to GOOD vs BETTER. Now, I think it's GREAT vs AWESOME...or something like that. And yes, there are exceptions to the rule.

Are we lucky or what, and what do you think?

All this "Rating" stuff means nothing to me. The last several Fords I have owned have been very reliable vehicles for me. My son and grandson both drove Toyotas and Hondas and dumped them after a lot of drive train problems. My son now drives a GMC Tahoe and my grandson drives a Ford Fusion.

Another part of this is how the owners treat their vehicles. Some owners are downright horrible at how they run their vehicles and how they maintain them. These are also the first ones to complain when engines start burning oil or when other parts wear out quickly. Their first response is to blame the car manufacturer.

I believe assembly automation has given us good quality without the Monday or Friday problems of the past.

Alot of factors indeed. I think the top 10 or so likely have minor differences between them. It comes down to personal preference, maintenance and brand allegiance. Previous experience ranks highly for me and appears to for tig1 as well, per his remarks. I would definitely lean to Toyota based on my current experience but I would consider other brands. I like to test drive vehicles and judge space, comfort, functionality, mpg, cost, features etc. It really is most about how it fits my lifestyle,needs and how they drive.

Exactly!

My criteria has changed over time. I've had vehicles that I loved driving but, were always in the shop or I was often working on. And I've had vehicles that were reliable but, mhhh, I didn't like driving all that much. At one time, reliability was the highest part of my criteria. Now because most vehicles are quite reliable, I want more comfort & quiet(not features) and outward vision and comfort for my passengers.

I mean, it doesn't matter to me what others think of my purchase but, I would have to agree with some of my family & friend after I've made a purchase of a high scoring, expensive vehicle. After long ownership, I would think, Gee, how much did I pay for this frikken thing? Then OTOH, with le$$er vehicles, I would think to myself, Gee, this is really nice, how little did I pay for this?

Last edited:
It does seem like we have moved on, but we'll know if today's cars are "great" in about 10 years. But then we'll wonder if the cars in the future will be just as good.

I really can't say much, my fleet is getting old, and my daily driver just turned 20. Going to guess "everything" will feel like a major step up.

I think the problem is every OE has their dogs and has their superstars and that weighs heavily into it as well. And yes some more that others across their lineup.
Look at Ford with the Focus DCT and the engine problems in the performance version or GM and their timing chains & AFM system, Toyota and their horrible 8 speed transmissions or sludgers or Honda and their VCM system / 1.5T's. Chrysler and some of their transmissions and engines, Nissan with their CVT's and Hyundai and some of their engines etc. etc. etc.

I think it's on the consumer to do their research, not to buy a vehicle that is fairly new unproven engines/transmissions until it has been fully debugged and then there is the "luck" factor. Sometimes you can do everything right and get a lemon. Then there are other experiences where you should be having problems because the model you are driving is affected by major concerns but doesn't cause a problem for you. My dad's 2012 Caravan is that. It has the unrevised oil pump, oil filter housing and older problematic heads and unrevised 62TE transmission and none of these have been a problem for him and it has high miles too.

No need to write off a brand because of some issues but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do your research either.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Just a thought that can apply to any vehicle segment.

I was thinking about today's vehicles in all segments and mfg's are building some really great vehicles.

Are we lucky or what, and what do you think?

Yes! I appreciate the intense competition and the quality products available today. I am not one to (mistakenly) believe that yesterday's cars were better. They were not.

It's also good to note that some "less than reliable" vehicles have a important place. Jaguar cars comes to mind as vehicles that are very pleasing to drive in real world conditions, regardless of the lower reliability.

a search on the Malibu forums will show they are quite crappy. girlfriends 13 oil burning 2.5 LS included. only 60 thou + an out of its short warranty radiator + water pump was replaced + said oil consumption a qt in 1500 miles until i switched her to 5-40 euro spec synthetic which is much better. waiting for wheel bearing failures reported by the hundreds. sisters dumped 2010 LTZ took 3. dont believe all the advertising fueled by $$$$$

Originally Posted by benjy
a search on the Malibu forums will show they are quite crappy. girlfriends 13 oil burning 2.5 LS included. only 60 thou + an out of its short warranty radiator + water pump was replaced + said oil consumption a qt in 1500 miles until i switched her to 5-40 euro spec synthetic which is much better. waiting for wheel bearing failures reported by the hundreds. sisters dumped 2010 LTZ took 3. dont believe all the advertising fueled by $$$$$

My latest cars have been either HyunKia or GM. Although I haven't had a lemon, it seems the GM's have each dinged me for a major repair running about $500+ (actually had a 97 Cavalier that was pretty reliable, now that I think about it-- certainly not a pleasant ride, however). The HyunKia's were all pretty bullet proof, no major repairs, now that I think about it.

No idea what CR rates the 300's at, but a quick look shows pretty high ratings across various sites. But I don't really care, because I love this car. The radio is great, super comfortable seats, for plenty of oomph from the v6, phenomenal transmission, and it's right wheel drive!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
No idea what CR rates the 300's at, but a quick look shows pretty high ratings across various sites. But I don't really care, because I love this car. The radio is great, super comfortable seats, for plenty of oomph from the v6, phenomenal transmission, and it's right wheel drive!

[off-topic]
How did you handle the rougher roads and on-off snow this winter? Did you had winter tires or just good AS?
I know they handle the roads nicely.
Thank you

P.S. user SteveSRT8 in FL, has one in SRT flavor which he managed to handle some potholes and many track launches in stock form

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Skippy722

[off-topic]
How did you handle the rougher roads and on-off snow this winter? Did you had winter tires or just good AS?
I know they handle the roads nicely.
Thank you

P.S. user SteveSRT8 in FL, has one in SRT flavor which he managed to handle some potholes and many track launches in stock form

I have the S trim level, the suspension is stiffer than the rest of the trims. But it's still very smooth, never wished I had gotten a different trim with softer suspension.

As for the snow, the tires Carmax put on, Hercules Ironman iMove gen2, are awful in the snow. But I managed just fine, just requires careful driving. I'll be getting a good set of tires before winter this year for sure. My brother had no issues in his Charger though, even with the v8's extra torque. We both have 245/45r20 tires.

0-60 is about 6.6 with the v6, 5.3 with the v8, according to one of the car mags I read. With the v6 the engine is turning ~1200rpm at 60mph! In my short 10 mile commute I've been averaging 22-23mpg. Went 3 weeks on a tank of gas, still had about 4 gallons left.

Last edited:
As my mechanic told me yesterday - all cars have their own, separate issues.

If you keep up with the maintenance, more often than not you'll end up with a car that lasts for many years (sometimes even decades.)

I buy along Consumer Report's advice. Why? Because every time I have, it's been good, and every time I have not, it's been a [censored] show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back