Battery Chainsaw - new purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have always had a small chainsaw for miscellaneous yard work...cheap and nasty.

This year the carby went on it, probably only needed seals, but they were half the price of the machine, assuming the on line ones fitted the mahine in the first place with the chinesium generic saw...

So having already handed in my mancard, on battery mower and weedwhacker (they use the same 18V 4AH batteries as my drills, the minivac, USB charger, light/torch etc. I went and bought an Ozito battery chainsaw.

Used it today to chiop up some fallen timber, about 5" diameter into chiminea sized chunks, and three timber pallets....and still had a half charge left.

Was actually pretty happy with the performance.

Would make a very useful camping item, or stuck behind the seat to clear trails or the like without filling the car with two stroke fumes.

The Makita, Ryobi, DeWalt and Stihl electric ones are all very impressive.

Unfortunately, battery life is about the same length in time as the little carby on the petrol ones... but batteries are NOT inexpensive!

I fought with the idea of getting one... and then came to the realization that a little Sta-Bil in the gas is a lot cheaper than batteries.

I DO however, have a couple of very inexpensive "Yard Sale" Homelite 120v mains-powered chainsaws.

They are really great for what they are and as cheap as they were (I think one was $15 USD and the other was $25 USD and came with three extra chains!!)

Just don't accidentally cut the cord.

Yes, the cord one was around $80.

Have seen reviews on the Ryobis, and at least in mower applications, the current draw melts the area around the battery terminals.

I've got a half dozen 4 amp hour 18 volt batteries around the place now, it fits everything in my tool kit
* Mower (needs 2 batteries, it's 36 volt)
* Weed Whacker
* Drill
* USB charger
* TOrch/Lantern
* Minivac.

Nice! I have always wanted an electric chainsaw. I do light duty trimming and my Poulan Tiger Shark is a bear to start sometimes. I usually only use it once a year and thats half the problem. It takes me longer to get it started than to do the trimming. If it doesn't start in about 5 pulls of the cord I get about half teed off. Thanks for the info I am in!

Originally Posted by pcoxe
I have a both a Stihl chainsaw and pole saw. Great for light pruning or quick cleanups after a storm.

How long have you had the pole saw - I have a Stihl saw - but decided to minimize ladder time and hired a couple guys. After watching how much they did with that Stihl pole-saw - impressed ...

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by pcoxe
I have a both a Stihl chainsaw and pole saw. Great for light pruning or quick cleanups after a storm.

How long have you had the pole saw - I have a Stihl saw - but decided to minimize ladder time and hired a couple guys. After watching how much they did with that Stihl pole-saw - impressed ...

Got the pole saw shortly after the chain saw. Much safer than using a regular saw on a ladder. Actually I use the pole saw the most. Less chance of kick-back injury. Also good for trimming brush in snakey areas. I save the chainsaw for big stuff in the clear on the ground.

Originally Posted by Shannow
So having already handed in my mancard, on battery mower and weedwhacker

Losing your mancard for owning electric OPE would have to be voted on, but sporting a man bun or man purse would automatically revoke it.

I was given a corded chainsaw a few years ago and it did some serious work at the last property, no need for it here but no reason to pass it on.

Buying extra batteries always seem expensive, makes more economic sense to buy one of the kits during the holidays but it sounds like you've got plenty on hand. Do you try to keep them all at full charge?

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I have ....my Poulan Tiger Shark is a bear to start sometimes.... If it doesn't start in about 5 pulls of the cord I get about half teed off.

Ummmm.... I hate to pop your ballon, but a Poulan starting in "just 5 pulls" is actually a pretty good one.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
extra batteries .... Do you try to keep them all at full charge?

I believe I have read it is not good to store Lithium Ion batteries at full charge

Not wanting to kill myself with my 16" gas chainsaw for some trimming projects on my steep hill back yard I broke down and bought a "wussy" 10" Ryobi battery chain saw for trimming. It's been raining so much here so I've not been able to work outside. As soon as I can I'll let you know how my "wussy" saw did
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Buying extra batteries always seem expensive, makes more economic sense to buy one of the kits during the holidays but it sounds like you've got plenty on hand. Do you try to keep them all at full charge?

I've only ever bought a single battery singly...they were overstocked and selling the 4AH batteries for $25...otherwise I buy the complete kit, not the "skin" (lamp and USB charher could only be skins).

SO I've got 5 batteries (6, counting the 2AH one that came with the drill), and 5 chargers...

I make sure that two are fully charged, and another couple in use.

I've used the ryobi rechargeable for 3-4 years. It's a great homeowner saw. I've also got their 120V polesaw, which is a hoss compared to the 18V, but both have their place. I can get a lot of work done with both of them, especially the pole saw. The electric is great for camping and trimming larger hedges when they go nuts. Since both are limited on power, keeping the chain sharp is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back