Change Anti-freeze or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Dexcool 50/50 on sale for $14.99 at O'Reilly and $12.44 everyday at Walmart.

For only 50c more, Walmart has Zerex Asian Blue
smile.gif

If you'd actually use Deathcool, just get the cheap Walmart ST coolant that's like $7 for the 50/50 or $10 for the concentrate. It's a Dexclone/Deathclone dyed yellow instead of orange.

When I get the walmart asian coolant, I order it online for pickup in local store.

I have never seen the stuff in stock on the shelf at my local walmart.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Dexcool 50/50 on sale for $14.99 at O'Reilly and $12.44 everyday at Walmart.

For only 50c more, Walmart has Zerex Asian Blue
smile.gif

If you'd actually use Deathcool, just get the cheap Walmart ST coolant that's like $7 for the 50/50 or $10 for the concentrate. It's a Dexclone/Deathclone dyed yellow instead of orange.

I use a Death...er Dexcool because I have GM vehicles and that's what was already in them. Zerex Asian Blue would be better for a Kia.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Haha. Here is a pic of Deathcool after 5 years in a Chev 6.0 LS with a cast iron block. Pretty evil stuff, isn't it.

lol.gif
happy2.gif

This has absolutely zero bearing on a 2014 Kia. Dex may be fine in your Chevy LS, but it's not proper spec for the OP's car.

Congrats on the new purchase, probably a good decision to change it. In all honesty I'd probably just put OE coolant in there or the Zerex Asian formula.

The reason I'd just go OE is because when you think about it, this is a fluid that will be in there a long long time...lots of time, lots of miles. You'll top up once in a while but for the most part, you may never even change it again (unless a water pump goes or you keep it another 5 years/100,000 miles). So for another 5-$10 bucks? I mean it's not like you're replacing this stuff every 3 months/5,000 miles.

Me? I'm weird, I'll try to save $10 bucks...it's a disease. I don't know how I caught it - probably from my father - but I watch him now and I'm like...do I look like that? Do I go through all this effort just to save a few bucks...probably embarrass myself a few times along the way, while mom is out spending every dime I'm saving? Lol. Yes, that's exactly what is happening, history is repeating itself. I think I saved $10 bucks some how just last week, meanwhile my wife came home the other night and creatively discovered a way to waste $300 bucks on stuff we didn't need. True story and it happens...every...single...week.

Last edited:
Haha. Here is a pic of Deathcool after 5 years in a Chev 6.0 LS with a cast iron block. Pretty evil stuff, isn't it.

lol.gif
happy2.gif

In a cooling system designed for it ofcourse it's ok.
However i would never ever use it in a cooling system not designed for it, it wreaks havoc on certain gaskets, and soldered radiators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon

lol.gif
happy2.gif

This has absolutely zero bearing on a 2014 Kia. Dex may be fine in your Chevy LS, but it's not proper spec for the OP's car.

+1

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by SirTanon

lol.gif
happy2.gif

+1

+2
I stick with the coolant the vehicle calls for, especially in my Jeeps. In the case of them mixing OAT with HOAT can wreak havoc in their cooling systems.
wink.gif
So much so there are TSB's warning against it.

lol.gif
happy2.gif

The tester is for all 'Ethylene glycol' based coolant.

DEX is NOT a 'Ethylene glycol' coolant. DEX-COOL is created out of a combination of different phosphates and silicates as well as the organic acid technology itself.

Originally Posted by udidwht

lol.gif
happy2.gif

The tester is for all 'Ethylene glycol' based coolant.

DEX is NOT a 'Ethylene glycol' coolant. DEX-COOL is created out of a combination of different phosphates and silicates as well as the organic acid technology itself.

What? Have you ever used Dex-Cool? It's absolutely ethylene glycol.

http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/ACD_Dexcool_10-101_EN.pdf
SAFETY DATA SHEET

SDS ID: SDS584
PRODUCT NAME: ACDelco DEX-COOL EXTENDED LIFE ANTIFREEZE COOLANT
PRODUCT NUMBER: 88863334, 88862642, 88863342, 10953464, 1000953031, 12377912/F, 12378512/F, 19242091, 19261992, 12346290, 88862171, 88862172, 10953031, 10953527
FORMULA NUMBER: YA-956B, YA-956B-B
MANUFACTURER:

Prestone Products Corporation
Danbury, CT 06810-5109

CANADIAN OFFICE:
FRAM Group (Canada), Inc.
Mississauga, Ontario L5L 3S6

Date Prepared: 09/26/2014

Component CAS No. Amount
Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 80-95
Diethylene Glycol 111-46-6 0-5
2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 19766-89-3 1-5
Neodecanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 31548-27-3 1-5

And "a combination of different phosphates and silicates"?

https://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/dex-cool-antifreeze.html
ACDelco Dex-Cool Antifreeze Extended Life Coolant Concentrate is an orange, silicate and phosphate free, premium-grade coolant/antifreeze that is formulated with a chemical composition that minimizes breakdown of metal components in contact with the fluid. Based on carboxylate technology, ACDelco Dex-Cool Antifreeze Extended Life Coolant Concentrate has the properties needed to optimize the efficiencies of the new hybrid vehicles. This product is acceptable for use in all vehicles that require Dex-Cool coolant and the undiluted formula means that the user can customize the concentrations of water to coolant/antifreeze for optimum performance in a range of environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back