Dealer bulk oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the privilege of wondering the back end of the local Ford dealer today while doing some work there. So of course took the chance to check out the bulk oil. Turns out its Mobil 1000 in 5w20 and 5w30 and 10w30 delvac for the diesel folks. I would assume all the ecoboosts are getting the 5w30 for the basic LOF change. Lots of 1L botttles of Motorcraft 5w20 syn laying around too.

Pretty common stuff round here, figured it was everywhere

Capture+_2019-04-18-19-54-40.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked for a big Kia/Mitsubishi dealer, our bulk oil was Valvoline Synthetic 5w-20 and 5w-30. Mitsubishi cars spec'd For 0w-20 got Idemitsu out of a 55 gallon drum. We also had Mitsubishi branded (Idemitsu) 0w-20, 5w-20 and 5w-30 in quarts for some reason. Tons of cases of it. Rarely used it, maybe it was stocked for retail sales.

Originally Posted by leeaspell
Had the privilege of wondering the back end of the local Ford dealer today while doing some work there. So of course took the chance to check out the bulk oil. Turns out its Mobil 1000 in 5w20 and 5w30 and 10w30 delvac for the diesel folks. I would assume all the ecoboosts are getting the 5w30 for the basic LOF change. Lots of 1L botttles of Motorcraft 5w20 syn laying around too.

I guess the ecoboosts don't need synthetic oil after all?

Last edited:
Well ford spec in the states is syn. Conventional in Canada. Apparently we are very different in Windsor Ontario vs Detroit lol

Well ford spec in the states is syn. Conventional in Canada. Apparently we are very different in Windsor Ontario vs Detroit lol

No the spec is not for the U.S. it's SN+.

We now have Motorcraft 0W20 blend, 5W20 blend, 5W30 blend, and 15W40 in our bulk tanks that get auto-replinished every 2 weeks. We also have a tank with Castrol Edge Professional OE 0W20 for Mazdas which we order a 55 gallon barrel of every week or so. Everything else is in bottles.

Lubricant fraud, even at dealers, is apparently rampant. Its not just the franchised small business quickie-lubes who cheat on 'synthetic' lubes.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
From the local Indie Mercedes shop:

That kind of looks like what an oil tank would be around here. Is it that big? Typically oil tanks are about 275 gallons.

The only car repair place I have ever worked with a bulk lube tank (2 each, one 10W-30 and the other 5W-30 - back in the late 1980's) was white with a huge blue & red Valvoline sticker on it.

The truck that delivered the bulk oil was also plastered with Valvoline labeling.

That's yet another reason I stay away from Stealerships and do it myself. I get better oil at Wallyworld and save money in the process.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
From the local Indie Mercedes shop:

That kind of looks like what an oil tank would be around here. Is it that big? Typically oil tanks are about 275 gallons.

Here's another shot. Looks like a converted oil furnace tank to me.

4CEE439C-AAC9-4479-A397-3289A9101B31.jpeg

When you put oil into a big tank it automatically becomes "bad oil" ?

Best oil change I had in my old 2007 Silverado was from a bulk tank (bbl) with Valvoline SM in it.

Woodworth Chevrolet in Andover. ( and yes, I knew Jay Leno when he was a Teen)

Better than anything I ever put into it.

Yup. Detroit is north of Windsor.

Just going off my 2015 5.0. Syn for usa, conventional for canada.

They don't put different engines in US vshicles vs CA vehicles so....

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
When you put oil into a big tank it automatically becomes "bad oil" ?

People worry about all the additives settling out to the bottom of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back