unSocial Media: Food For Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destin had a pretty interesting discussion on his podcast about this upcoming series as well. Its enough to make you stop and think for sure. Slightly concerning for people who spend most of their time online as well. People that spend all their waking hours plugged in to their phones.

Interesting video. I don't watch political stuff on youtube, but still concerning to get a glimpse of all the manipulation that goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTYgcdNrXE&t=1s

The above is the inspiration for the first video.

Frankly, thinking about all of the behind the scenes manipulations of the internet is a little bit terrifying, which is probably why the last few years I've been more focused on things going on around me locally as opposed to the national news and the like.

More than ever people are talking in twitterspeak logo/memes.

When you look how hard it was historically to get people to speak at prompt, and in unison, where we are is scary.

And now it's monetised....confirmational bias leads people to ideas that they agree with...as per the video, they play to these preferences to further "radicalise" the viewers, gaining more clicks and more money

You only have to look at some of the content analysis studies of media to see some terrible trends. If news correspondents with 500,000+ twitter followers adopt a social media model in their discourse, it becomes more about the churn than the value of the actual news piece. It's the same idea with Facebook, Twitter or whomever for the average net denizen. Like they say, the easiest way to get a question answered on the internet isn't to ask the question, but to post the wrong information. That pretty much defines the concept of "unSocial media".

The media companies and the tech companies have zero guilt or remorse for the monster they've created.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
The media companies and the tech companies have zero guilt or remorse for the monster they've created.

Why would they? It's made them filthy stinking rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back