being a luthier/

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's what I want to do for the rest of my life,,,,
the level of precision, and care about details
it just amazes me,,,
so,,, tell me why not?

Where do you live? How much work is there even in major cities? You would also have to find one and hope they will take you on as an apprentice.

If you want to be a precise carpenter, trim or mill work is where it's at.

I live in new york,,,,you talk as an economist,,,,its not about money,,,,on the other hand,,,, I don't see many people willing to do this job here

I know a guy...

He's a precision turbine guy who I've worked with on an off turbine projects since 1991...he drives a Mercedes two seat convert, so not short of a bob, and works turbines maybe 5 months of the year even during his retirement.

The rest of his life is building acoustic guitars.

He's really really mellow

Originally Posted by koffy
I live in new york,,,,you talk as an economist,,,,its not about money,,,,on the other hand,,,, I don't see many people willing to do this job here
I never said anything about money, it is simply supply and demand. You need to live somewhere there are a lot of professional musicians who beat up their non-disposable instruments. There has to be enough demand and profit for someone to take you on as an apprentice.

There's a lot more disposable instruments than heirloom-quality instruments that are worth repairing.

I don't know if there is a better place for that than the big apple,,,, however,,,,instruments seem to be worst than junky cars when it comes to repairs,,,,,
and that is my weakness,,,how to repair correctly

Originally Posted by PimTac
Search the web for a luthier college in Portland.

Oregon.

I just did that,,, and seeing that they depend on donations really beat me up,,,,I guess I have to eat my own words and see it as an economist,,,,
Luthery is dying

Originally Posted by koffy
by the way,,,musicians don't play disposable instruments,,,, they are not wort the effort

PRACTICE fixing up broken guitars.

Don't ruin a good neck by trying your first re-fretting job on something of decent value - -
get a lot of used, beat-up Korean guitars and practice fixing those.

Luthier sounds very appealing, like cabinetmaker. Fine work. Craftsmanship.

But being able to make a living is an entirely separate matter.

You would have to get training. Set up and pay for a shop, with tools. Establish a client base. Have enough business and cash flow to make a living.

Those are big challenges.

I believe there is a good school in Redwing MN. The luthier I have used for the past decade is a graduate of that program.

Musicians are very picky when having their axe repaired or updated. If you are not confident in what you do or don't have the level of expertise that they will expect, you will not do well. We view our instruments like a child. You'll need to have experience and great references or you'll be fixing high school instruments.

The man that started Grizzly tools has that trade for a hobby.

Lots of tools some specific to that trade.

Good resource, I buy from them since local,, great quality for China.

Rod

I know a few players through my nephew that does composing in L.A. It's interesting that the guitars they play vary widely and are favored for their tone and ease of playing/action. Most have been massaged by a technician but few are one off hand built by a luthier. Most are factory built and even now aren't that valuable relatively speaking. Not all American strats are worthy players. Being rare or expensive doesn't automatically mean they are worth a krap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back